1080p 120 fps capture card?

Hello TDers,

I hope you’r all doing well.

Has anyone manage 120 fps input in 1080p ?

I’ll post down here my research so far.

We are building custom setup with Marshall cameras (great stuff), and we’d like to use the 120 fps version :
http://www.marshall-usa.com/cameras/CV506-H12/

• So I’m looking for the good PCI capture card, I would need 2 HDMI input 1920x1080 at 120 fps.

I’m used to Black Magic PCI capture card but they can’t take over 60 fps. (or I’m missing something)

//PRO OPTION

According to this forum, AJA, Datapath and Bluefish are the best pro option, but I can’t find a clear mention about 120 fps in FHD.
Although peolple on obs forums says that it’s possible (Question / Help - 120 fps 1080p video capture card | OBS Forums)

If a device can support 60 fps in 4 k, shouldn’t it be able to support 120 fps in FHD ?

I’ve never used those hardware, maybe some more advanced users than me would have a clue ?

//GAMER OPTION ? (first things that pop up on google, but seems not that good)

//CHANGE THE CAMERA ?

Maybe I should change cameras ? Some Gige over ethernet ? Some NDI stuff ?

I’ve tried allied vison Alvium USB camera but it’s wasn’t compatible directly in TD.

I hope I’m clear enough :slight_smile:

Thank you for your time and advice,

Have a great day !

Thomas Z

You’ll want to ask DataPath, but for HDMI capture I think the DataPath SC-UHD2 will be able to do higher frame rate.

1 Like

Thank you for your input Malcolm.
It doesn’t explicitly say 120 fps on their tech specs but it’s very close the magewell capture device (and the price is almost the same).

I suppose they give you the bandwidth and you have to figure out your input format according to limitations ?

I’ve also asked on Facebook TD help group, here is one other good answer :

from Erik Axel Eggeling :
"
try the magewell pro capture series, you can edit their edids they claim that in this way you can input whatever you want

"
Thanks Erik

And if you check in the specs of the Pro Capture Dual HDMI 4K Plus LT it says “Support for capture frame rates up to 144fps”, wich is reassuring.

It seems to be another good solution.

I’m still open to suggestion and thoughts of course

Thomas Z

Hello @machinesauvage,

interesting camera, with HDMI out. In a recent project we were using cameras from XIMEA. Very recommendable. And captured both images, each 1936*1216px, up to 150fps via USB 3.1.

Frame synchronicity was very important in our case, and I can see your cameras have I/O pins but don’t know what happens along the HDMI-Capture Card path in regards to frame sync. We worked together with @kimchiandchips who wrote a custom c++ operator to handle synced frame grabbing.

Unfortunately I am not expert in capture cards, only thing that comes to mind is the idea of using a Quadro card to capture the images directly to the GPU, depends of course on what you want to do with the image later on. BlackMagic support is built in.

Hope that helps.
Daniel

1 Like

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for your input !

It’s interesting to see those models. It makes me think about my specific journey on this project.

My first guess was to use USB camera as it is cheaper and you don’t need capture card, but as you say it comes with some specific issues.

For this project I gave a shot to allied vision alvium USB camera, which are kinda the same as the Ximea. They where good, but not natively supported in TD (I had fun controlling it and multithreading in python, I writed another post on the subject, and @ItayGal had interesting feedback, and custom c++ op) : alvium USB

I’m sure with more time to developpe, USB cams may be the best solution, but (unfortunatly) we need to go fast on this project.
And we love the quality of marshall box cameras, so we ordered the expensive magewell capture card.

Hopefully it will be nice and easy regarding all aspect (framerate, reliability, plug and play).
I will post my success (or failure) here :slight_smile:

Have a great week y’all !

Thomas Z

1 Like