3D particles in particles GPU?

I’m using the paticlesGPU Palette and I’m trying to get the particles to appear as 3D sphere, but they just look like flat squares. I was trying to mess around with the texture but had no luck. Is there any way for the particles to appear as 3D shapes rather than flat squares? Basically, I want my particles to be 3D sphere. Is there any way to do this by messing with the Particles GPU?

Hello, there is two possibilities, one is to replace surfaces by sphere in the instancing process, second is to use geometry shader to build sphere for each particles (much more difficult).
The GPU particles tool in the palette is very complicated and difficult to understand. There is some tutorial about instancing using noise and feedback, that can be a good start to understand the process.

Thank you for your response! Do you recommend just using the particles SOP instead of the particlesGPU?

Not at all, I quite never use particle SOP. I just say to begin with a simpler and understandable particle system. Particule SOP its easier to manage at the beginning and you can test instancing of sphere most easely. But if you need many particles and want a greater control, GPU particles are unavoidable.
I made a tutorial for GPU particles, unfortunately in french but you can follow the process and there is the finished project.

1 Like

Hello, here is a quic example of spheres instanced by a Noise Chop. But no collision detection (much more complicated but possible with Compute Shader.

sppheresInstancing.toe (5.2 KB)