Add ability to control the main timeline

hi,

I can see in the forum that the main timeline is not getting much love these days but sometimes i can find it useful to be able to control it via a CHOP or Python as some operators like MovieFileIn has a feature like “lock to timeline”.

Although one can adjust some parameters like start, end, play… there is no way to manipulate the timeline position.

I can understand this is not a first class feature, but this could be useful for some projects.

thanks

You can do this by using members and functions of the Time COMP class:

the root time COMP can usually be reached with me.time unless you have added other time COMPs ( which I know is not as often done these days since the advent of the Timer CHOP)

me.time.frame = 100 will work out of the box in a fresh project. Is that what you’re after?

oh ! yes that could be a way to achieve what i am looking for !

I don’t have my TD setup right now, but i imagine i can drive the Timeline using this function with a slider COMP and a CHOP Execute.

kind of strange the frame parameter of the timeline is not exposed and accessible in any other way than a python expression

i’ll have a look.

side question : do you guys use another specific technique for that matter ? Like a Timer CHOP or something ? It seems the main timeline is not used a lot.

thanks

to throw two cents at your side question - I think it depends on several factors whether or not someone sets up an independent time transport system in their network or utilize the TD one.

The main one is UI, if you’re building an application with UI having the TD time paused can do odd things with the UI buttons and sliders when interacted with. some logic may not work, sometimes timesliced stuff will give you troubles.

It’s often easier to allow the “system clock” so to speak, of TouchDesigner to run freely and continuously and to build your own timing system within that (with the timer chop for ex) that can be controlled, scrubbed, etc.

On the other hand, if I’m building some fixed timeline style content playback system, where I want to drive the master time with OSC or some other input, and I’m not doing much with UI etc, just driving tops then using the TD timeline is nice, and very dependable and quickly accessible with out much effort.

I agree with lucas, and would say in the most common use cases you will find that leaving the main timeline alone is a better option than adjusting it to control the playback of media.

The other thread we have been in recently points to a few ways of doing this instead :