Add Reroute Node

After doing some stuff in BluePrints I found reroute-nodes incredible usefull.
grafik
I can kind of get a similiar behaviuor using NullOPs, but they do count as Operators and also take on quite some space (even when sized to smallest size) and have a name. All stuff that should not be needed to make the wires a little clearer.

3 Likes

For those of us not using Unreal : what does the Reroute node do?

my understanding is that it is more of a junction point visually for your network, it doesn’t really do anything, just creates a new position that can continue to be routed from. Like a tiny null that doesn’t have a unique name/address, an extension cord from the previous op’s output

My bad. But @drmbt ist correct.
Contrary to a NullOP a rerouteNode has no other functionality then organising and ist not part of the network itself in a programmatic sense, but a “Editor Only” feature for better prganisation.
So instead of the nulls circled it would just be a little dot.
grafik

Ah! So its main goal is to enable more advanced wire routes and so to prevent wires overlapping - that’s a good cause!

Back in my Isadora days we used to do something similar… I think it was control clicks would let you plan the route for a wire.

In Max wires (patch cords in Max lingo) can be segmented to allow for more complex routing:

+1 - This would also save valuable screen real estate. While I love OP viewers, the truth is they aren’t always necessary, or would be nice to somehow collapse in this fashion.

I was used to something similar inside of Houdini - just a little dots that help organizing wires, very handy.

https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/network/wire.html