Add SRT (Secure Reliable Transport) to Video Stream In/Out to Enable Streaming over Internet

Hi friends,

Recently stumbled across SRT (Secure Reliable Transport) in our research to find solutions for point to point video streaming over the web. We’ve done some tests using other utilities and it works really really well. It’s open source, so I’m wondering how challenging it would be to add native support in TD.

More here: https://github.com/Haivision/srt

Other interesting bonus is that SRT is not just limited to video. Would be great to also stream CHOP or DAT data over the internet over SRT.

Cheers,
Evan

1 Like

I’ve added support for the 2020.40000 series of builds for SRT input. I wasn’t happy with the stability of FFmpegs SRT output though. Even in the standalone ffmpeg.exe I found it failed very often. So currently output isn’t yet supported.

1 Like

Oh interesting! Glad to hear it’s already on your radar even if not fully implemented yet.

Looking forward to the output side getting worked out.

Cheers,
Evan

Hi Malcolm, any plans to try this again? From my research SRT seems to be the replacement for RTMP/

Thanks!

Yep we definitely plan to take another look at it at some point.

1 Like

FYI Larix Broadcaster is a great mobile app for sending SRT. I was easily sending 4k 60fps over wifi from my phone to my desktop.