ADDED: Add SRT (Secure Reliable Transport) to Video Stream In/Out to Enable Streaming over Internet

@nettoyeur Hey thanks, I wasn’t aware of that actually. I will add some additional information to the documentation.

edit: I updated to the latest experimental build and got it working. I’ll have to play with it to see if I can improve the latency. thanks

When will Video In CHOP be supported?

I’ve been playing with SRT within a video streaming in CHOP. I grab a window using ffmpeg and send it locally via SRT

ffmpeg -f gdigrab -framerate 30 -draw_mouse 0 -i title=“Video Window” -vcodec libx264 -preset ultrafast -crf 17 -pix_fmt yuv422p -tune zerolatency -f mpegts -mode listener -transtype live -tlpktdrop 1 srt://127.0.0.1:6666

Then I just add the SRT url in the video streaming in CHOP. Some observations:

Which ever application is the caller has to do that first, it seems. The listener seems to have to be last in the chain of events.

The latency locally is around a second locally… But this depends on a lot of things. on a personal note, I need something probably as close to real time as possible. I’m only wanting to share a window into TD. This thread seems to say that SRT may not be any better for me than UDP.

Link

both protocols seem very very tempermental. for real time video streaming. Not sure I’d want to rely on it for a performance.

@malcolm I’m fairly sure the SRT inputs aren’t working as well as they could. I’m testing the same feeds on the same machine alternating between vMix and TD, and TD seems to freeze, not connect and add more latency compared. Is there any information beyond the following that could help derivative assess why this is the case? Haivision app, 720, TD set to listener, latency of 50.

Sorry for the delay on this. I’ve been deep in Vulkan-land and not working on the 2021.10000 branch much. Offhand it’s hard to compare since I’m not sure how vMix does their SRT input. We use similar workflow as VLC, so that’s the more comparable app for this.
When you say ‘freeze’ do you mean the full app or just the stream never plays anything?

Hello friend! Has your problem with connecting Larix Broadcaster to videostreamin been solved? I’ve tried all kinds of URLs, but I still get Can’t connect to SRT server.

The devices are on the same network, the firewall is not working.

Hey @bredsky, in the end I went another route, so no I never tried it again. All I can recommend is all the tips in this thread above, like start the caller first and the listener second, and try to add the correct arguments to the url in TD.

Hi @malcolm! I am trying to connect a Larix broadcaster to videostreamin. I have tried all sorts of urls, the devices are on the same network, the firewall is not working, but still the connection is not established. Can you tell me what could be wrong?