Adding colour to 3D geometry when instancing onto a 3d matrix grid for LED strips

Hello, so I have been following a few forums including Lucas Morgan’s amazing bottleneck LED forum. Also Markus Heckmann has some amazing videos for instancing onto an LED grid.

The last forum which enabled me to project 3d geometry onto my LED grid was this:

This is really cool but I’ve been really trying to get it set up with applying gradient to the overlapping geometry. This was figured out using one technique by Graig Russell-Goto in this forum which uses feedback loops with ramps and chopToTop. I am not entirely sure of how this works but it isn’t quite what I’m after. I want to be able to apply various ramp patterns directly onto the points that have been lit up by the geometry. I’ve attached this as his original file name ‘3D gradient’.

So at the moment there is a table being outputted from the group sop which contains r,g,b,a,u,v,w,x,y,z points on a 12 x 12 x 12 grid. The geometry points that overlap the grid points have an rgba value of (which lights up the relevant overlapping co-ordinate). I am trying to essentially change the points that are 1 rgba and merge them with a colour ramp without any feedback loop.

I have tried using a chopTopTop to then use the multiply function with the ramp, however this changes the format of the data and changes the correct index’s, so when I convert the data back to a chop it messes with the rgba index positions and so doesn’t work.

Sorry for the mouthful, I am new to touchdesigner so I feel like I am misisng something very obvious. If anyone has the knowledge on how to do this it would be much appreciated :pray:. Also I’d like to thank all the people I’ve already mentioned as their work has been truly amazing in helping me with this project.

Cheers,
Cormac

Hey @cormaccrehan,

could you share a link or attach the file you are mentioning - looking at fully understanding your request.

Best
Markus

Ah yes apologies @snaut I completely forgot to attach. Thanks for looking it over!

3D gradient.tox (107.0 KB)

touchdesigner forum post rgb instancing.2.toe (19.0 KB)

So in essence I want to be able to apply ramp colour without a feedback loop as I would in this ‘Ramp instancing no geomoetry.toe’, but only to the overlapping geometry points like in the ‘touchdesigner forum post rgb instancing’ file:

Ramp instancing no geomoetry.toe (15.0 KB)

Hey @cormaccrehan,

applying a animated texture on the selected points only might proove a bit difficult. I’m attaching a file though that takes a bit a different approach by using the LED positions to lookup from three axis: x, y and z - Now to animate a sphere moving aroud, you can think of it as a circle when looked straight on from either of the aixs. So 3 circles or ramps and controlling their centers can have the same effect as when moving a sphere around.

The file contains a few more approaches what could be done in a LED cube.
At the same time I would encourage you to familiarize yourself with @tekt development of RayTK which opens up a vastly larger array of possibilities for volumetric LED setups.

Hope this helps
Best
Markus
LEDCubeEffects.toe (118.8 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for these @snaut, it’s all really useful stuff. Apologies on the delayed response, I’ve been trying to do get more understanding on GLSL to make better sense of it.

I’ve also been taking a look at the T3kt Raymarching, and yes it is a really good resource for 3D so thanks for the recommend.

The only thing that slightly confused me is I don’t quite understand what the purpose of the noise is in the GLSL height map example.

Also if you have any resources you can recommend for this kind of height mapping GLSL technique, for applying patterns onto the 3D grid points let me know. Maybe it is just a case of some personal experimentation, but it brings out some very cool effects so I’d be keen to get more comfortable with it.

Cheers,
Cormac