Allocating outputs on eGPU

Hi there,

I’ve recently purchased an eGPU: Node Titan Thunderbolt 3 dock with a AMD Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX580 8G GDDR5. Running with a Mac Mini 2018 3,0 Ghz 6-core i5 32GB RAM.

The graphics card has 4 available outputs (2 * HDMI and 2 * Display Port) which, I was told, should be able to individually output separate signals.

In the Finder info window I have selected TouchDesigner to use the eGPU when available, I see activity on the eGPU through Activity Monitor when I startup TouchDesigner, but it ends there, no further settings. As is, the outputs of the graphics card all output simply as a second display.

My TouchDesigner project however sends output to two independent channels (2 video projectors, besides the computer monitor), but I have not been able to allocate the individual outputs of the new graphics card. Before purchasing the eGPU, I routed these separate signals over a Black Magic I/O cards using the internal GPU. But I was told it is preferable to use the output ports of the eGPU directly, rather than routing back the signals back to the Black Magic i/o after processing in the eGPU (latency, etc.)

Is there a library file or driver which has to be loaded into Touch Designer beforehand, in order to select individual output settings of the Radeon graphics card?

Thanks in advance for any advise/suggestions!
Martijn

The Window COMP settings control which monitors the output will open on. When you look at your Display layout in System Preferences / Displays you should line up your monitors left to right. The left-most monitor will be monitor0 in the Windows COMP, the next one to the right of that monitor1 etc. When you change the Window COMP to ‘Bounds of all Monitor’ then the window will span across multiple monitors, so set the size you want and then enter the pixel offset so its starts on the monitor you want.
If you are having trouble please include a screenshot of your Displays preferences.

thank you Ben for your reply! Going to look into this straight away and let you know.
Martijn

yes, that worked! able to output individual signals now over each eGPU port.
Thanks Ben

1 Like