Any SOP applied on a Grid SOP

Hey,

i want to deform a Grid SOP with any other SOP (Box, Sphere, OBJ file etc). I was experimenting a lot with SopToChops and ChopToTops but that somehow didn´t really work out because of the different Channel length i guess…

So i found a (dirty) workaround: Render any SOP with Geo / Cam / Light to a Render TOP and then TopToChop the Pixel-Values and apply it back on the Grid. When you play around with lighting it gives you some pretty ok results, please find my TOX attached.

My question now: Has somebody more experienced than me a better / more precise idea or is my workaround a valid way to go?

Thanks,
Jacob

SopToSop dirty.tox (3.9 KB)

Hey @jacobb,

a SOP that works with this is the Ray SOP - certainly a bit expensive…

ray.tox (1.0 KB)

Best
Markus

Hey @snaut,

ok great, thanks again for your help. I´m not sure if this gets me the result i want but it is a good hint!

I think for now I go with my workaround until i find maybe a better way to deal with it.

Thanks,
Jacob

Hey @jacobb,

yeah, I used a pretty high resolution grid - and it does look a bit different. A nice side-effect of your technique is that it is based on the lighting and texture - so you can probably create some very interesting effects with that…

Best
Markus

1 Like