BUG?: exzessive panel layout times

I’m running into excessive (400+ ms) panel layout times when adding a single panel to a larger collection of (200) panels

Quick demo:

open the file simpleLayoutDemo.toe (14.1 KB) and in the right pane cut and paste “item 100”
→ perf mon reports 400 ms cooktime for the parent() container

There seems to be no difference if I delete the first or the last item in the layout. And changing layout mode to top-> bottom, disabling a panel, or even changing align orders does not trigger the same behavior.

The weirdest thing is that I can even set the parent panels align par to “None” and it will still cause these high layout times

Not sure if I’m hitting a bug or if it’s just not optimized to layout a larger amount of panels.

Hey @Achim

This is likely an issue with layout/panel optimization.

We have an internal build that will come in the next experimental with a lot of improvements on that front and I compared your file in both.

I get a massive hang in the current stable release by copy-pasting Item 100. In the dev build, it’s a small spike but nothing really blocking.

I’d invite you to revisit this when we post our next experimental to confirm if you are OK with the result.

Best,
Michel

Too bad it’s not a bug :wink: But good to know that this will improve sometime next year