Build Versions Question

Last night I downloaded GeoPix 2.0 [ yusss ] .
I downloaded the whole repo, unzipped it, and ran the correct .bat file.
It downloaded an older build version of TD over my newer one.

I opened a project up and it said, you cannot open on an older build version ( not what it exactly said but yea ).

So, I’ve read I can right click and click which build version I want, but how can I have geo pix run on its intended build, and when I click on TD (from desktop icon, folder, picture) it’ll open up the latest build (or build I want).

Also, If I wanted to just try to reinstall everything, I have all of my projects in a local folder, Just copy those out and delete the TD folder along with the GEOPIX.zip and just start over? Or do you have a something I can read/study to delete my build safely and not loose anything.

Thanks for reading, pretty elementary file structure stuff I need to get more familiar with.

Hey :slight_smile: I can probably help you with your question.

The latest builds of GP2 are with 2021.14360. So if it does not detect that installed on your system (it searches in program files) then it will install it portably, and locally next to GP.

Are you able to tell me which TD build it’s opening in when you start it the usual way? It should be 14360. You can go into network mode and check the top of windows bar of TD.

Also, what other versions of TD are you trying to use/ have installed?

1 Like

Hey the man himself!, thankyou for taking time!

Here is exactly what the the prompt is saying to me, note this is when Im trying to open a project of my own. GP2 will open when I run that .bat file your supplied.

Loading a file saved in version 099 build : 2020.46540 into version 099 build : 2020.28110
Loading files into a build is older than they were saved in may cause compatibility issues, proceed with load.

I had no errors loading, except for some warnings with my python path not right when it was downloading some python dependencies.

I went to your git, and on the left under the about I used the repo link for Initial Release V2, with a balloon saying latest. Let me know Im showing you my steps enough

Thanks!

Thanks for the additional info, but still not fully following.

Am I following correctly that GP2 opens in the correct version, no issues there, but that other .toe’s are opening by default under the incorrect version of Touch?

btw on my github the initial release is actually quite outdated, be sure to use the green code button to get the latest (it’s quite stable atm)

Release Initial Release V2 · EnviralDesign/GeoPix · GitHub

This is what I downloaded, and I don’t think I had the latest version of TD installed on my computer as you see.

And yes GP2 loads with the correct version, but if I locate my local folder with my own .toe files it tries booting up with an older version { the message I gave before is what I see }.

Or should I copy all my .toes to a new folder and delete everything TD?

Ah, so the problem is not with GP at all, rather just getting your toe files to open with the intended version of Touch?

If that’s the case, I usually fix this on my end by right clicking a toe, and in properties setting the default TouchDesigner version I want it to open with:

One thing to be careful of is “accidentally” upgrading projects made in older builds then saving them from within newer builds.

For this reason, I usually set the default TouchDesigner to the oldest one installed, so that I get an annoying message each time when and forces me to right click, open with.

You don’t have to worry about GP2 opening with the wrong version of Touch, as long as you launch it with the intended start file, it will always find the appropriately installed build.

Thank you lucas!

One more question I just recently listened to your awesome interview on HQ about GP2/touch, and when you were talking about the arch, you said the guy who made it had crazy detail and then zoomed in to show the bolts, I am going to start designing arches etc any programs you’d suggest that work well for this task.

Should I just pick up blender or a more sophisticated metal/fab cad program.

Thanks man!

1 Like

ohh yeah, Brian Korsedal developed some amazing software software to generate said structures digitally, and also physically. he moved on from Digital Permaculture some years ago but you could always reach out.

Honestly though Blender is great, and you can get far with that, you’ll just have to build out all the detail semi manually!

Thank you for the mention, I am home now and when I right click I dont see any other options so I think I might just try the fresh install route, I dont know why my other build doesn’t show up.

I am downloading the new TD and selected the parallel build, so then I feel Ill be able to rick click and do my build!!! :smiley: