cameraViewport control with joypad not working properly?

TDMovieOut.0
I’m on the latest stable release and using Xbox controller with cameraViewport component. As can be seen in the video, camera position is not constantly updating when controller sticks are moved but instead it applies controller value and then stops until the stick is released and is moved again. Can someone else reproduce it?

Thanks!

Thanks for the report. I haven’t tried it with an xbox controller, but I’ll see if I can dig one up and reproduce it.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay, but I finally found an xbox controller to test with and figured out the issue.

The problem is that the current controller support in the cameraViewport was designed for a 3D spacemouse which behaves quite differently than a game controller (even though they both work with the joystick chop).

The spacemouse returns constant position values, which is why the cameraViewport only responds to changes in value. In contrast, the xbox controller returns constant numbers while pressed and then returns to zero. This means the controller would actually need something more similar to how the keyboard interface currently works.

I’ll try to get this support added in a future update, but in the meantime, if you want to experiment with it yourself, the component is all open source. I’d suggest something like calling the ‘SetKeyAction’ functions from chopexec1 while the various axis channels are on. It will take a little more work to add analog speed control since the keyboard controls are currently either on or off.

Let me know if you have any questions.

2 Likes

+1 to support gamepads/Xbox controller within cameraViewport so you can walk around in a scene like in a first person game. Thanks