Can I use intellisense in Visual Studio Code (or another IDE) with Touch designer

Hi

I am playing around with text dats in TD. Currently I use vs code however I get errors in VS Code when I edit the text dat. I can’t work out how to point my version of python to the one used by touchdesigner as the dats show up as temporary files. I switched to pycharm and am still having the same problem. Things like op are not recognised and I get errors in the editor. Is this just how it is with TD and external editors or is there a way to set this up to use things such as intellisense and autocomplete for text dats. I’m happy to switch to a different editor or ide

I feel like I’m missing something in my set up… Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @tarapattenden,

welcome to the community!
TouchDesigner’s python interpreter natively cannot be connected to external editors (architectural reasons) but have a look at this project to gain some of the features you might be looking for:

Best
Markus

1 Like

Hi Markus
Thanks for the answer. That’s super helpful. I will stop trying to get them to connect for now. I had a look at the TD completes me while I was trying to get it to work but didn’t get it working. I’ll check it out another time
:slight_smile: Tara

1 Like