Can TouchDesign use MIDI Sport 2 x 2 > light sculptures

Hello. Can TouchDesigner find and use Midiman MidiSport 2 x 2 driver if its not listed in Midi Mapper or DMX Out> Device?
Want to control incandescent and led light sculptures. Using Win 7 Pro> Midiman MidiSport 2 x 2> NSI Control Interface I/F-501> NSI DDS 5600> to lamps.
This equipment worked w/ Opcode Max & proprietary software ArtWonk
Any help appreciated. New to TouchDesigner.

It might show up in MIDI Mapper, but it definitely won’t show up in DMX Out. I believe TouchDesigner uses Windows’ MIDI Subsystem so anything that has the right driver and shows up in Window’s MIDI should show up in TouchDesigner’s MIDI. Maybe try Bome’s MIDI translator software to see if it shows up?

Otherwise you could get a supported DMX Out Device (Enttec USB DMX Pro or any artnet / sACN node) and bypass the I/F-501.

Regardless, that is some very niche / old stuff you are talking about there :slight_smile:

Thank you. Will try your suggestions. Lighting high wattage incandescent lamps for sculptures may be unusual for TouchDesigner. Yes, hoping to use robust reliable old equipment. . .

Also, if I’m understanding it, a supported DMX out device could bypass the MidiSport and the I?F 501 too? that would lighten the hardware load nicely. Will look into that. Thanks again!

Yes, you can skip the midi interface and the controller an go directly from touch into your dimmer. You can use one of the supported USB-DMX interfaces, but i highly suggest opting for an ArtNET-Node. Then it would be Computer -Networkcable->ArtNET-Node -DMX-Cable-> Dimmer

1 Like

The DMX King stuff is pretty good / cheap:

eDMX1 PRO $129
eDMX2 PRO $219
eDMX4 PRO $299

or this if you need bare wire:
eDMX4 PRO DIN $129

But also anything that takes sACN or Art-Net and spits out DMX is fine, but you’d be hard pressed to find stuff better price / quality ratio than this.