Capture HDCP HDMI content with Datapath VisionSC-UHD2?

What happens when capturing 4k HDCP HDMI content using a Datapath VisionSC-UHD2?
According to the specs the card supports HDCP2.2, but I don’t think TD can get the captured feed?

As I can’t imagine the card outputs decrypted content to TD, this would nullify the whole goal of HDCP ?

To answer my own question, HDCP is only supported on Datapath capture cards if you’re also using a Datapath graphics card, I guess because then they can guarantuee content is going directly to screen only.

Did you confirm this works with TouchDesigner? Seems like TD offers too many options to access the decrypted content, and likely wouldn’t work. How would they “guarantee content is going directly to screen only”. If you’re not allowed to insert any nodes to manipulate the image in the pipeline, that seems to defeat the purpose of these cards for TouchDesigner, if you are, then it seems like a guaranteed way to break HDCP. (Maybe not a concern since it would be the most expensive way ever to break HDCP?)

Yes, as I wrote above, this would defeat the purpose of the encryption.So you can only access the content using a datapath capture card WITH a datapath video output card -meaning not in TD(!) - you can only output it directly to a screen from the datapath video card using datapath drivers.

My solution was to use a cheap HDMI splitter which removes the encryption.

Aware of the splitter option, and probably what I’d do… But it would be nice to an option for something that isn’t technically illegal (not sure what the exposure is for stripping HDCP, even if you never use it to copy protected works).

Totally agree. I spent weeks looking for another solution, but this was the only option. In the end all I could do was chuckle that in a multimillion dollar project with only top-of-the-line gear, somewhere in one of the racks a small $20 chinese splitter plays a small but essential part :wink:

1 Like

Hilariously, I was recently asked to debug a similar problem with Datapath capture.

My instinct was to use a Decimator or even a BMD micro converter to purge the HDCP (since I’ve managed to do that several times in the past with input systems I’ve designed), however, I couldn’t confirm it would work with the datapath inputs since I really didn’t have the time.
That gig too had a hellaciously old DVI-DSM59 dongle that was causing issues on one of the input/outputs.

Never boring.