Change Cursor Image in TD?

Hey All,

Not sure if I’m overlooking something really simple, and if so apologies!

Is there a way to change the mouse cursor to be an image within TouchDesigner? I.e., replace the standard cursor arrow with a .png. I noticed this user seemed to indicate that you can: hiding the mouse

I also able to do so in Unity3D so I know it’s not necessarily on OS level to set this :smiley:

Some Side Notes:

1. On my install computer (Mac Mini OSX 10.12.xx (have to double check year in Gallery) ) I am using a hardware trackball for the install as an interface, but also using a Bluetooth Mouse that I turn on to start the project. I turn off the BlueTooth Mouse before going into “Perform Mode” to ensure no strangeness/conflicts with U V coordinates and the trackball mouse.
  2. “Cursor Visible → Never” is not consistently working in Perform Mode for some reason on the install computer. Another, strange issue is I’m finding when the cursor is hidden, the tracking of the mouse coordinates does not always work consistently (i.e., dropouts, latency, etc.).

Why I’m stating this: Because of this issue, I don’t know if it would be reliable to hide the cursor, then use an image that takes the U and V mouse coordinates to set its position and comp it into the window as a simple solution.

Thanks in advance for any insight into this!

Cursor Visible > Never should always work, but one thing to be aware of is that you should to make your Window setting BEFORE you go into Perform Mode. I don’t think changing these settings once already in Perform mode is wise as the window gets its configuration parameters when first spawned.

There is also a constrain cursor feature to limit the cursor to a particular monitor, does this help or are you only using a single monitor?

Hey Ben,

Thanks for the reply. I was in deadline mode so sorry for slow response.

In this case, I did set it before going into Perform Mode.

I am also using a single monitor / projector and cursor is set to the monitor. I had a backup solution avert this, just curious in case it’s a problem for others or some sort of bug?

Okay, that’s really strange. Can you tell us which build of TouchDesigner you are using? macOS 10.12 right?

Hey Ben,

Thanks again! TouchDesigner099.2019.20140.

Also, correction, OSX 10.13 (10.12 is on my personal machine so I mixed it up).

Again, I have a workaround so less of an emergency if it’s sorcery. I’m slightly more curious at this point whether there’s a simple way to replace the cursor texture like Unity 3D :D. I ended up using a third party app and keeping the cursor visible as my solution.

There actually is another control to change Cursor image, though you can’t swap it out to any arbitrary texture yet.

All Container COMPs have a Cursor parameter on the Panel page. You can change the cursor to a different type of cursor and there is an option for ‘Invisible’. This might prove more reliable for you?

It is generally good practice to use Container COMPs as your operator for the Window Component anyways (set Background TOP parameter to your TOP output), so you should be able to use this in any case of Perform Mode.