Circular audio waveform / frequency plot visualization

Hi all,

I am trying to create a circular waveform for an audio visualization idea. I have been able to make most (image below) of it but have 2 issues.

1. I would like to have a closed circle ( filled in with a solid color ), It is possible to weld the first and last points of the wave functions? (EDIT: I have figured out how to close the loop, I used a Join SOP )

2 I would like to have the waves only go out of the circle as in the below image with the arrows. I think its possible using a point sop and transforming points by their normals, but I have not been able to figure it out.

any help would be much appreciated.

thank you.

Hey @rofoto,

while there is a good chance for it having an apprupt change on the first/last point, you could start with a Circle SOP that has the same amount of points as you have samples in your CHOPs. With a circle being a closed geometry, the first and last point are already connected. Now as it represents a surface, you most likely want to render it with a Line MAT or Wireframe MAT.
So essentially, use a SOPTo CHOP to convert the circle into CHOP channels - combine with the spectrum and then use a CHOPTo SOP to control the points of the circle with the modified channels.

For your second question, make sure you multiply the spectrum first with the x/y channels before adding it onto them.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Markus

1 Like

That worked and its also a simpler node network. I am putting a screen shot of the working setup here in case someone in the future is looking to solve the same problem.

Thank you very much Markus

1 Like