Component Privacy - Allow Viewer and Panels

In working with private components these days, I’ve found that I sometimes want to give them an icon or a graphic identifier in my network, while also keeping the contents private. That’s all well and good, and seems to work just fine when I’m the user… but if I pull a private tox into a new project the icon that was previously set is no longer visible until I unlock the component.

Here’s a quick example:

base_comp_privacy_example.tox (478 Bytes)

With this unlocked tox you should be able to drag this into a network and see the operator selected as the viewer right away:

With this private component, you don’t see the viewer when it’s dragged into your project:

base_comp_privacy_example_locked.tox (894 Bytes)

Unless you unlock it (password: TouchDesigner)

This same behavior happens with Widget COMPs and Container COMPs - which adds a layer of challenge to creating something with an embedded UI that’s private. You can put a Window COMP inside which you then pulse open… but you can have a drag-and-drop private component that also has a styled icon or interface.

@ben - I initially thought this might be a bug, but doing a closer reading of the documentation about component privacy this just seems more like it was a yet to be discovered edge case. Anyhoo - it’d be a lovely feature to have so that private components could be styled.

1 Like

Thats basicly intendet from what I gathered when banging my head with private components. You define the image Outside of the component in the parameters but refference a ressource inside.
Instead you can do that by making this into a container and put another fill container inside refferencing the appropiate image ressource.