It would be really useful to have more integration between the editor context and the python console.
Software like Maya/Rhino/Cinema4D/etc, there’s a command input which can operate on whatever is going on in the editor (selected ops, network position/zoom, etc).
TouchDesigner has almost all the infrastructure for that already. The console is a fully functional python interface. But what it lacks is super easy access to the state of the current network editor.
We all have these behaviors that we perform again and again that could really be automated.
- Create a
select TOPpointing to the currently selected
- Rename all the selected OPs
- Create some snippet of OPs
- Create a widget with some preset of some parameters (which you could use to apply a color theme or something).
- Clear all the parameter expressions from the selected OPs
- Bind the parameters of the selected OPs to some other parameters
I’ve been working on some “toolbar” components that can handle that kind of thing but at the moment adding new actions to it involves adding functions to a file/DAT manually.