Some may know I’m coming and still using Max.
I’m trying to retrieve some feelings, habits and new concepts with TD.
I don’t know if some are interested in that, but here is how I manage my routing in Max.
I guess that I probably would have to change some paradigms with TD and this thread is also to talk about that and maybe hopefully share ideas around this.
I’ll describe here how I do that in Max (since my project ALPHA)
The paradigm I’d like to port to TD is : one parameter can be controlled by many sources.
Related to the figure below,
For each song (=context, arrows colored here),
I link a trigger to custom actions for altering visuals system parameters.
For instance, Song01 is related to green arrows. Song02 to orange ones.
When I fire a midi program change, the system switch from a context to another one.
For instance, here, when I switch from green to orange, Par 3 takes a new default value, static and
Par 4 is no more controlled by Trigger3 through action b, but now by Trigger 3 via Action c.
At each context switching , I need :
- to fire initial conditions to all n visuals parameters (Par 1, Par 2 … Par n)
- to connect triggers to Parameters (all not connected ones will remain in the initial condition state just fired up above)
This system allows me:
- to create my visuals system while composing, progressively.
- to be totally free while composing without thinking about that pitch has to be pitched up or down to match a specific pitch in the visuals system,
- to decide about the link trigger / visuals’ parameter progressively, not deciding all at the beginning
- to have specific actions for THIS trigger in THAT context. As I wouldn’t want to have THIS midi pitch does always trigger an envelope, or does always pop out a random number (the “always” would be the problem here)
Naturally, I’d like to do that or almost that in TD.
According to what I understood and experiment, I know we can dynamically export to this, or that.
In my Max patch, I use gate/switching. For song 1, I have ALL my midi flows going to that part of the patch. Inside that part (designed on purpose for song 1), I use my triggers on very custom way and send that further to parameters themselves. (reminding me that post, of course, which was a pre-project to this one)
I’m thinking about this solution: dynamic recall of initial conditions & dynamic routing through Python
Program change changes. A MIDIIn DAT get it and the associated callback check what it has to do for that program change number. Callbacks do ALL the job:
- fire specific values to the n parameters
- connect (export) specific nodes related to that context to each one of n visuals parameters.
Here is a view:
Sorry for the UglY schematics.
I’m posting this to know if it does make sense ?
Maybe it is a too much specific personal local self post.
But I always make progressions and increase potentials by sharing, discussing etc.
I just hope this post won’t be too big and useless and could trigger ideas to some people too.
I will try to implement this and post more later