Converting an projection mapped installation in the physical world.... to VR?

So I’m chatting with someone about this and I just want to make sure I have the right idea. Say I created a Touch designer installation that used 5 projectors to project onto the five visible faces of a cube on the floor. In the real material world. IS there an easy way I can then convert that to a VR room with the images instead of projected onto a physical cube in the real world, appearing on a virtual cube in VR space in the middle of a VR room?

It depends on your projection mapping technique.

If you were using something like camScnapper where you are using a textured 3D object (your cube), then yes - it’s very easy. You already have the 3D assets, and space set-up to accommodate this approach.

If you’re using 2D mapping techniques where you’re manually mapping the faces of the cube, then it will be a little more tricky to make this adjustment quickly.

2 Likes

Perfect, and yes I am intending to use camsnapper. This is great news - it means installations made in VR space in lockdown can easily be converted to physical immersive installations after lockdown. Two questions - could the reverse be said of unity (ie is it easy to convert a unity vr space and project it onto walls, etc) and could you recommend a headset?

Moving between tools can be easy or challenging - it really depends on what you’ve got setup. Planning ahead for your asset pipeline - 3D and texture - should make some of this a little easier. In terms of mechanics and logic, that’s something you’ll likely have to re-write in TouchDesigner.

If you mean - using Unity to do the projection mapping, that’s a slightly different question. I don’t know what mapping tools are currently available in Unity - but a bit of googling might help you find out if there’s a simple way to make that transition.

I’m using an HTC Cosmos these days, which has been great - that said, it might be worth waiting to see what the headset market is going to look like after CES as there are usually a handful of announcements that roll out during that trade show :slight_smile:

1 Like

A lot of people are raving about the quest 2? Though being tied to Facebook is a shame. Can I design content for quest 2 in touch designer? And I do will it also be compatible with other headsets like vive etc?

It looks like the quest has an app style approach - so you build and deploy to the quest when you want to test. TD doesn’t have a app packaging approach that supports that kind of development stream currently - so I don’t think the quest would be a good fit for working with TD.

Right now you have to install TD in order to run TD projects in VR - so any headset that supports openVR, and has a system capable of running TD would be a good fit.

You can output to quest via occulus link (cable)

@Achim - super rad! Thanks for sharing. I didn’t realize that Oculus had a solution to keep you from needing to compile at each testing step.

Unfortunately there is a nasty Rift / Quest floor level bug and the floor level is not used properly . Otherwise it’s the Perfect headset.

so does this mean you can design your content with touch via cable and then once uploaded it can work in Quest 2 as a standalone (no cable) ? What’s the craic with facebook ? Does content need to go through Facebook ? and for that matter does the Quest 2 need an internet connection to work ?

No. You always need the cable.

so Im guessing to do that its either unity or unreal (to upload content to quest 2). Shame love touch.