Crash when i make a reference / The Vulkan Device has returned a fatal error code

I keep having the bug with 3070ti and latest studio drivers (game drivers had the same issue).
Also, I didn’t find any .dmp file but will look better this evening. I tried to increase TdrDelay first to 8 and then to 16, following this guide:

Also, no change…the bug keep happening, even if I just parm a constant material to a geo with an empty project, or if I reference a keyboard in to any parameter. Funny thing is, if I just write the reference the bug doesn’t occur.

1 Like

We are pretty sure it is in issue in opening the popup (technically a tiny window) which causes a crash. Are your machines laptops? If so, I wonder if its the same bloatware-conflict bug that causes crashes when opening secondary windows as discussed in these posts.

1 Like

hello, in my case it is a razer laptop and from what I have read in the forum that you recommend, you have to uninstall a software that comes with certain brands of laptop. But I don’t have those software on my laptop. So the solution is to delete all the nvida drivers and reinstall them? I still haven’t understood very well but here goes the thing.
thanks

Razer laptops usually do not have bloatware, so it is likely not the problem. It was just a thought as many laptops do have this issue.

I’ve been doing some tests to see if it fixes it. I have uninstalled the nvidia drivers and reinstalled them, this time the studio drivers and everything is the same. gives the same error and the program closes.
I have also tried it on several other computers, an msi laptop with nvidia 1050 graphics and no errors and a non-laptop computer with nvidia gtx 1070 graphics and no errors.

I don’t understand anything that is happening. Does anyone have any ideas or help to fix this?
thanks

Is your Razer laptop a AMD or Intel CPU. There are some challenges with combos using an AMD CPU with integrated graphics alongside a discrete Nvidia GPU. Usually this causes crashes on startup, but maybe there are other effects?
You can read about it here.
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5182

my razer laptop has an intel iGPU, and although I have investigated where you suggest me in the link, nothing I have found works.
I don’t understand why this problem doesn’t occur with wulkan on other laptops with intel cpu and nvidia gpu. I do not understand the problem.
thanks

Hey!

I’m having the same problem here, even just opening and closing the export movie dialog with the start patch

I’m using a laptop (ASUS Vivobook 14) with a 3050 and the latest drivers (both Nvidia and AMD), I uninstalled Geforce experience and the problem is still here.

I don’t see any other program that could be causing the problem.

Do you have a list of programs that could be considered “bloatware”?

I don’t know what else to try :frowning:

Thanks!

@pitron
Since you have AMD and Nvidia in the same machine, are you tried applying these settings from Nvidia help?

Yeah, I tried that with no luck

1 Like

Hey, can you try setting a Windows Environment variable
TOUCH_ENABLE_NV_AFTERMATH=1
and recreating the crash? This should create a new dump file from the crash that we can look at.

Hello, I have done what you suggest and searched for the crash and it gave me two files, one with the extension gpudmp. But I can’t attach them here. Can I send them to you by mail?

Thank you

yes, feel free to send them to support@derivative.ca, or you can .zip them and post them here.

I have sent you an email with the generated files, and I also send them here in a zip folder.
thanks

dump file.zip (3.4 KB)

Hello @cinghio @elihou

Could you please share the specs of your machine? Are you on laptops?

Trying to find out if there is something common for everyone here.

Best,
Michel

Hi! @JetXS
thanks for the help, I’m on a MSI GE76 with i7 12700H and RTX 3070ti.
I uninstalled basically everything including MSI command center: every now and then making a reference does not cause the crash, but still happening most of the times.

@JetXS no luck?

Hey @cinghio

Apologies on the delay. We are still looking into this issue.

Could you please confirm that your power-saving settings are set to performance? Can you also have a look at what this user recommended here and see if that applies to your case: SOLVED: [Win10][2022.26590] Vulkan crash in very particular MAT + Geometry case - #3 by codrakai

Thanks,
Michel

I have tried this solution that you propose and I still have the same crash problem. I have assigned maximum performance in windows and everything you ask. I have also updated to the latest version of Touch Designer and it still happens.
Any solution? I sent you the dump file, have you found any solution?

thanks

1 Like

Hello, same problem here