Crop without changing resolution

I want to crop the top and bottom of an image by specifying pixel values. I want the output to be the same as the input, with black bars where it’s been cropped. It seems like Crop is the wrong TOP for this job, because it actually changes the resolution.
I tried using Crop followed by Fit to put it back to original resolution, but this centers the image vertically, so it only works if top and bottom crop values are equal.
I’m think the Matte TOP could do this, but it looks complicated. I can add a black rectangle as the fill, and another rectangle with alpha for the key. Then I have to figure out the right formula for sizey and centery on the key. This seems really complicated for such a simple task. Is there a better way?

I found another option using Corner Pin TOP. I use expressions for all the pin values to copy the extract values, then drive the extract values. This works, but it stills seems overly complicated.

I agree this feature should be in the Crop TOP. Others have asked for this as well in the past: Crop Top with no scale

As a workaround you can use the multiMix in the Palette, cropping in there works as you describe. Enable crop in the settings, and set the units to pixel coordinates to work in pixel land.

1 Like

Yes, that should be in both the Crop TOP and the Corner Pin TOP’s Extract page.

Aside from nettoyeur’s solution… a Constant TOP to a Corner Pin TOP to a Multiply TOP with your image as the second input to mask parts out.

Or send image to a Rectangle TOP and adjust pars on the Output page.

Sending the image to a rectangle… I tried this, setting the rectangle size to 1x1, and turning on “comp with input”. But this masks the center of the image, kind of opposite of what I want.

Try different blend modes in the Operation parameter menu & Swap Order.

if your rectangle is white (which it is by default) you can set its output comp comp method to multiply. This means everything which is not covered by your rectangle will be transparent(=cropped)

example attached
comp_with_rectangle.tox (430 Bytes)

you could also do this same thing but use the borders of the rectangle instead of the fill