Discrete NVIDIA GTX 1660 SUPER Card doesn`t get used

Hello,

I use Touchdesigner Non-Commercial (downloaded last week or so)

• a PC with MS Windows 10
  • with Intel i5-10400 ( that has IGPU UHD )
  • and NVIDIA GTX 1660 super

both have the latest Driver installed . (NVIDIA has the latest STUDIO DRIVER installed)

If I let the DEMO Project run (those that comes up when you start TD on the first time, wobbling beans).
I recognize the following GPU usage:

grafik

(IGPU has load, the discrete not !).

Monitor DAT reports:

I have “made” a “Profile” in the NVIDIA Control-Panel for TD

grafik

the Windows Grafik Setting is like

BIOS the settings are set to “PRIMARY Card = NVIDIA” or something similar to that

does someone has a clue what is wrong ?
or maybe it be something of the following ?

1. Touchdesigner Non-Commercial ignores comple the discrete Graphic-Card ?
    but on the Version Comparison Page of TD , I Found not any notice to this
  2. I have to set somewhere in TD (Preference or “ROOT” Container a hint which GPU should be used )
    I clicked through, but did not find anything that looked like to “make” this
  3. ???

thanks for reading

Hey, can you tell us what version of TouchDesigner you are running?

Hi Malcom,

64-Bit Buld 2022.29850 (I downloaded this from TP HP 1 or 2 weeks ago)
(or is it Touchdesigner 099 ? … Im a bit unsure what the Version-Nr is … but the buildnumber should fit

The fact your Intel GPU is in used doesn’t necessarily mean it’s being used for the majority of the rendering. A good test would be to put down a Noise TOP, animated it’s translate Z value, and increase it’s resolution. Does that increase the GPU usage of your Nvidia card?
Usually on laptops the iGPU still needs to be used since that is what the monitors are connected to, so images need to pass through it.

Hello Malcom,

• Im not working on a Laptop .... **Im on a Desktop Computer**
  • you assume that the IGPU is just used as a “passthrough” ?

I tried to make this “NOISE” Thing Project:

NVIDIA_CHECK.5.toe (5.8 KB)

grafik

(the warning Sign on the NOISE1 is only that max use of Limit 1280x1280) , First I put it to 4000x3000 then came the waring sign noew i put it to 1200x1200, but still the warning sign exists)

but still the IGPU is in heavy use
grafik

→ also I had a look ath some Operators of the “Operator Snippets”
I did not check every Operator (but in Every Group TOP CHOP SOP MAT DAT around 1-5 Operators)
IGPU usage between 60 and 95%
NVIDIA-GPU usage max 12% … most of the Time around 5%

→ maybe this is interesting:
if I click on the “Nvidia Flow Operator” the following error is “availlable”

thanks for your effort

Hey, if you are on a desktop then I’m confused why the iGPU is active at all? Do you have some monitors plugged into it and some plugged into the Nvidia GPU?

Hello Malcom,

why the iGPU is active at all?

It`s because of my Video-Cutting Software … it supports multiple Grafikcards.
In My Use Case: 5min Vid as .mp4 with H.264 …
the rendering of the Video is 30%-40% faster with the Intel IGPU and & NVIDA GTX 1660 Super … than if I render only with single Intel IGPU or single NVIDIA GTX 1660 Super !

… It`s seems furthermore that the Video-Cutting Software prefers Intel-Grakas … over NVIDEA …
so for this case it makes sense to have both iGPU and dGPU active !

Do you have some monitors plugged into it and some plugged into the Nvidia GPU?

No both Monitors are plugged into the NVIDEA dGPU

“Problem” is solved.
I did not had the newest NVIDIA Driver . Now I`m using the 526.98 Driver Version.

with this Driver there is no need to have both GPU`s (iGPU and dGPU) enabled … because now Video-Rendering (exporting) with my Video-Cut Software is faster when Exporting with NVIDIA (dGPU) than with iGPU & dGPU.
(NVIDEA wrote this Driver-Release 526.98 has some improvments especially for Video-CUT Software, also had to update my Video-Cut Software to profit of the new NVIDIA Driver).

by the way:
The TOP Operator of the Snippets “Nvidia Flow” makes far more Traffic on the Grafikcard than the other snippets.
usage:
CPU: 25% dGPU Nvidia: ca 43%

thanks