Discussion surrounding Python Intellisense/autocompletion in VSCode

I’m brand new to TouchDesigner; a colleague of mine has been singing its praises for a while and I wanted to try it out. I come from a JavaScript/NodeJS & Unity background, and am a huge fan of the incredible tooling built for those communities, especially within VSCode.

As I’ve started creating things using Python, I’ve found it very difficult to know what parameters are available to me on all the different objects. I’m aware there are examples and docs within the wiki, but those aren’t quite the same as being able to press control-space on a variable and have VSCode tell you what the available attributes and methods are.

From what I can tell, TouchDesigner doesn’t use a traditional Python installation, instead it has one built-in to the app’s binary. Additionally, the td module is a built-in for that special version of Python, and as such it doesn’t exist on any package repositories.

Usually, I’d just tell VSCode to point to the special Python executable and let Intellisense do its thing, but since the executable doesn’t exist on its own, that’s impossible. And since the td module also isn’t available on a repository, I can’t even install it with pip into a different environment and go about it that way.

So in summation, has anyone managed to get Intellisense-style completions working with TouchDesigner in a text editor?

3 Likes

I would also love to know any solutions to this

2 Likes