EngineComp process runs on default gpu - TD099.2019.30550

When launching from a TouchDesigner099.exe instance that is set to a gpu that is not the default gpu, the touchengine.exe child process attaches to the windows default gpu, instead of the expected behavior of the same gpu as the parent touchdesigner instance.

A custom parameter for gpuaffinity in the EngineComp seems like an elegant way to handle this, but even just launching on the same gpu as the parent process would be fine.

Thanks for all 3 of your bug posts regarding TouchEngine, we are looking into them.

Thanks Ben. On the same note, right now in/outs & custom parameters don’t work like stated in the documentation, I’m assuming this is just in the next release? For now, using sharedmem chops & spout has been great (other than not being able to pass in initial arguments or vars - custom parameters if implemented would negate the need for any of that).

TOP and CHOP Ins and Outs and custom parameters should work if you use the steps to force the experimental TouchEngine to be used rather than the main installed version. The next experimental build will be more sensible about using the its own version of TouchEngine.

1 Like

@bangnoise The intended functionality is that the TOP & CHOP ins and outs (and the custom parameters) instantiate on the Engine Comp after the tox is loaded, and should be visible on the comp itself, correct? Not seeing that functionality at all, even after following the steps you posted (at this point experimental is the only version installed on the production machine I’m testing on). I also tried changing the ‘clock’ and ‘wait’ parameters which didn’t seem to change anything.

@pointshader do you see a warning or error on the Engine COMP? There is a bug (fixed in the next experimental build) with loading tox with a large number of parameters. I wonder if you could try loading the attached very simple tox in the Engine COMP? engine_test.tox (854 Bytes) Leave ‘clock’ and ‘wait’ at their defaults for now.

After it loads, the result should be like so

Thank you for the test tox - on loading I get the error discussed in this thread: FIXED: Engine Comp License Error - TouchDesigner099.2019.30550

This happens even in a new, empty toe. Possible complications - Pro License, Xeon class 2x 8 core CPUs, 2x graphics cards (p6000s), Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 1809 / 17763.805 . Nothing particularly unique other than the dual cpus and gpus, not using sdi output cards or gpu sync.

OK, thanks for testing and the error message - useful to know it happens even with only one installed version of TouchDesigner. Looking into it further now.

1 Like

@pointshader to be certain, would you mind confirming the following was true when you tested that .toe?

1. There was only one installation of TouchDesigner on the machine
  2. That installation was 2013.30790
  3. That installation was installed using the installer in the regular way (ie it wasn’t an extracted version)

Sorry for all the questions - just want to be certain we’re reproducing your setup.

No worries, happy to help us get to the bottom of this! I uninstalled Touch, rebooted, installed 2019.30790, and had the same results.

Hi @bangnoise , I installed 2019.33020 and now get slightly different behavior - the engine comp gets stuck in a loop alternating between a ‘Loading…’ warning, and a single frame error 'An error occurred determining the installed license. (Before it would hold on the license error).

@bangnoise Just as a test, tried this on a different desktop with a commercial license and 33020 install, and a laptop with a noncommercial and 33020 install, and get the same behavior on all 3 systems.

@bangnoise Additionally, when I load the engine with a spout out and sharedmem out, the corresponding spout in and sharedmem in ops in the parent process do load for a single frame (but immediately jump to errors when the engine automatically tries to reload, of course). So right now there is no way to develop with the Engine comp, given the infinite loop of engine comp restarts.

Hey, sorry you are having this issue and thanks for working through it with us. So far we are unable to reproduce it on our machines.
Can you set an Windows Environment variable TOUCH_LICENSE_ERRORS=1 and try again. This should pop up error messages about licensing when the engine launches and help us diagnose the issue.
Thanks!

Moving the Engine License errors to the following thread: