I’m using Touch for an opera performance and am having some issues with the Perform node. Opening night is tonight.
- Razer Blade laptop with NVIDIA 3080 Ti’s (actually two: one main, one backup)
- Only using Discrete GPU. Integrated GPU deactivated.
- Using Ableton Push 2 as a MIDI controller to trigger things
- Running in TouchDesigner @ 60 FPS. System handle everything fine - frame rate not dropping.
- Outputting via HTMI to a 12m x 9m LED wall with Barco backend/processor @ 30 FPS / Hz (maximum it will accept)
- Outputting via HDMI from Razer Blade (60 → 30 Hz) = Motion is slightly jerky. Speed is correct, but frames are not being output consistently: eg. I see frames, 0, 1, 1, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 8, 9, 9, etc.
- Viewing on Razer Blade laptop screen (60z) = Perfect. I see frames 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.
- Outputting via HDMI from MacBook Pro M1 Max (60 → 30 Hz) = Perfect. Outputs frames 0, 2, 3, 4, 6, etc.
When using Perform Mode with V-Sync Mode ENABLED =
- Outputs with no horizontal tearing
- But I get a delay/latency when using the midi device. Hit a MIDI button, wait maybe 0.5 seconds before it triggers.
When using Perform Mode with V-Sync Mode DISABLED =
- Outputs with horizontal tearing
- No delay when using the midi device
When outputting via Right-Click > View… > Borderless to external display =
- No issues (except ‘PROBLEM 1’ above), BUT…
- Can’t use this method with a TouchPlayer Licence
I know it’s difficult to properly problem solve this without me supplying files, but any suggestions for things I should try? The goal is…
- Smooth playback and
- no tearing + no MIDI latency using Perform Mode.
Edit: Added emojis for visual clarity and mild amusement.