FIXED: Black frame every 256 frames in previews and exports

Hi there,

Hoping someone may be able to help troubleshoot… Have a relatively simple 3D project where some objects are audio-reactive. I’ve rendered this a few months ago without any issue. When I bring up the same project now, I’m getting periodic glitches and black frames in previews and in exports.

The project is 24 fps. Black frames appear in the output (and previews) each and every 256 frames. Render settings match project settings but have fiddled to try to narrow down the issue.

I think I’ve narrowed it down to a render node which is combining 2 pieces of geo. When I examine each piece of geo pre-renderer, they don’t appear to be glitching… Glitching starts at the render node.

When I noticed the glitch I updated my GPU drivers which seemed to rectify the problem for one export but then it started happening again… Fluke?

Have tried rendering in realtime and not… with audio CHOP and without… and in a few formats and several resolutions thinking the load may have something to do with it. Have even tried reducing the weight of the geo but nothing seems to work. Error is clockwork-consistent.

System is pretty well spec’d so I don’t think it’s problem on that end but who knows. i9, 128GB, 3080, M.2s, w10.

Thanks!

Quick update… This problem cropped up originally on Version 2022-32120. Have since updated to 2022-32660 and behavior is the same.

Also, noticed when I fiddle with colour output settings in the render node and add alpha, the glitch displays as a geometry anomaly… Points on the geo are displaced in an incoherent way during the problematic frame (every 256)… When alpha is removed and just outputting RGB, the problem presents as a black frame.

GPU useage when observing the problem is at about 6%.

Happy to provide the .toe but I’m a new user to the forum so I can’t post a link or upload yet.

Hey @Badpixel,

can you PM me the file so we can have a look. In case it relies on external media, please include it as well.

Best
Markus

huh… Looks like I don’t have access to DM. Maybe I’m missing something. Sorry this is my first post. Have files ready to roll.

@Badpixel You should now be able to send the PM.

You can also always contact us at support @ derivative . ca

Best,
Michel

Thanks @JetXS!!!

Thanks for the sample, this bug will be fixed in the next build we post.

Amazing!! Thanks again!