FIXED: Engine Comp License Error - TouchDesigner099.2019.30550

@bangnoise, Curious to know what you mean - is TouchEngine planned to only work for paid licenses? Or will this be opened up to non-com eventually? I have a pro license, but am wondering if something I author with TouchEngine will work the same for non-com licensed users.

Thanks!

Currently we only plan to enable the Engine COMP for paid licenses. This can always change in the future but for now that’s the plan.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by ‘author with TouchEngine’ though?

Ah, thanks for clarifying @malcolm - My goal was to offload some heavy tasks in GeoPix to separate threads / Engine Comps, things that need to be constantly recached in the background, custom light culling, etc. It sounds like for anyone using GeoPix in non-com, those engine comps would simply not load their TOX?

If that’s not possible, I imagine I can find some other solutions to that problem that might be a bit messier, python multi threading I have read some stuff on? but haven’t tried, also launching another Touch instance that runs in the background might be an option, but slightly more confusing to the user if they accidentally close it and don’t know why certain things stop working etc.

Sounds like a good pro feature - enable engine comps within a pro-locked component?

1 Like

Would be VERY into this! +1

Possibly, we’ll definitely consider it! It’s still a new concept to us in general so we’re still just figuring out where we want it to stand vs other features.
Another idea is that Engine COMPs just load into the host process if non-comm is running, like external .toxs. That way things will stay functional at least.

1 Like

that last option sounds very reasonable Malcolm - that way people who pay get that speed upgrade and other still have a functional system. But also I feel that if one really needs the features of the Engine COMP they’re more than ready to pay you guys a license fee.

I posted here as well but this seems to be the more appropriate thread. Any info would be a big help.

Trying to troubleshoot the TouchEngine issues. I have version 2019.37030. Not running as admin, set “TOUCH_LICENSE_ERRORS=1” and got these pop-ups while Touch was opening:

Warning:V7
no such file or directory
Warning:V5
Error: m1
Warning:V7
Warning:V5

Is the issue mostly a pathing problem or is TouchEngine working in the latest build yet?

@jacob_stephens what licence is on the affected system? TouchEngine does not work with a non-commercial license.

I have a commercial license with the dongle. Should that work or do you need Pro?

That should work - it sounds like something’s going wrong. We’re taking a look.

There was a new bug with dongle licensing and TouchEngine that was introduced a few builds ago. This should be fixed in the next release. Thanks for the report.

1 Like

Good to know! Thanks for the info. I’ll look out for the next version.

@jacob_stephens This error gone for you now and working?

Is the Engine Comp available with an Educational License? Or it needs to be Commercial and Pro?

1 Like

All license types except Non-Commercial.

Thank you Ben, I tried to load an Engine Comp to test it and it returns this error:

Im non-commercial for now, so if it works with Non-Commercial I don’t know why I’m receiving this error.

TD Build:2020.24520

I receive the same error as @Akenbak on my Non-Commercial licenses of TD 24520.

The Engine COMP does not work on non-commercial actually, but does work in Educational.

1 Like

@Akenbak @dylanroscover Sorry, I was mistaken as my system wasn’t giving the correct warning when I checked. All licenses except Non-Commercial. We will update that warning message to be more specific like for other operators in TouchDesigner.