FIXED: Nvidia Flow requires a Nvidia graphics card but I have RTX 2060

Hello,

I have an issue when trying to use the Flow Emitter node, it shows an error: “Nvidia Flow requires a Nvidia graphics card”.

I have a Nvidia RTX 2060, the drivers are up to date, and besides browsing online for a solution I couldn’t find one.

Laptop model: ASUS TUF565DV-AL125

Do you guys know if I missed a step to have it working, or an idea on how to solve this issue ?

Thanks for your time and help,
Regards,
ciphrd

Sounds like you have an Optimus laptop and your system is using the wrong GPU. In the Nvidia settings you should set Nvidia GPU for TouchDesigner, and also make sure Windows Graphics settings defaults to Nvidia GPU.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer.

Indeed, I have an Optimus laptop. However, and after verification:

• in the nvidia panel, both for global settings and Touch Designer settings, the graphic processor is set on High Performance (executed by the RTX 2060)
  • in the windows Graphic Settings, Touch is set to be run with High performances
  • trying to launch Touch with the RTX (by right clicking > run with graphics processor > NVIDIA High performances…)

The problem persists. I also have a feeling it has something to do with Optimus, but I honestly don’t see what much I can do here.

By the way, it seems, performance-wise, that Touch is using the Nivdia, otherwise I couldn’t have important networks running at 60 fps

We’ve seen on some particularly stubborn laptops the only way to force it is to change a setting in the BIOS. Of course you then loose the battery saving appeal of Optimus when not using TouchDesigner. :confused:

Another thing you can try just to test the Optimus hypothesis is run only with an external monitor (ie. laptop closed). Often the HDMI/DP out from a laptop is directly connected to the discrete GPU whereas the internal screen is directly connected to the Intel GPU (and even when properly working on the discrete GPU the signal needs to travel through the Intel GPU to get to the internal montior).

Also, looking at the GPU tab of the Task Manager can confirm for you which GPU is active with TouchDesigner, just load something computationally heavy like an 8K animated Noise TOP.

Maybe mention the make and model of your laptop so others on the forum with the same machine might chime in.

4 Likes

It seems that Optimus might be the cause of this issue.
I can’t try with another monitor at the moment, sadly.

I tried to disable Optimus in the BIOS but after going through every option is it not possible with my version of the BIOD, and I don’t feel like doing it ahah

Too bad I can’t get the maximum out of this hardware due to some configuration restrictions, it will hopefully be fixed in the future. I’ll report this issue in the Nvidia forums.

My laptop: ASUS TUF565DV-AL125

I edited the first message so that it appears here aswell.

Thank you for your time, appreciate it :slight_smile:

ASUS (and MSI and ACER) are known to come with a lot of preinstalled bloatware that often gets in the way of normal operations. You might look for that stuff and try to remove it all, especially any “gamer optimizers”, “GPU over-clockers” and the like. We actually recommend owners of these laptops do a fresh ‘clean’ Windows install when they first get them for best results, as unappealing as that may be. Searching this forum for bloatware will turn up results from many of these past discussions.

3 Likes

This laptop was shipped whitout any OS though.
It is a clean Windows install.

The fact that everything has to go through the integrated chipset is probably the issue, and there isn’t much one can do in such a situation because we are talking about a direct connection between the screen and that chipset.

I’m having the exact same problem with an ASUS G14. Tried everything listed above including an external monitor and disabling the Radeon graphics. I haven’t seen anything like this with other laptops and TD, though this is the first time I’ve ventured into AMD territory in a while. At this point I’m just about ready to give up and find another option

Too bad, this laptop hits a perfect balance of price, performance and size.

Update - I am able to run the Nvidia demo from GitHub - NVIDIAGameWorks/Flow: Flow is a sparse grid-based fluid simulation library for real-time applications. without any issues. Using stock configuration and screen, didn’t remove any bloatware or change bios, etc.

Also, when running TD it does show as running on the nVidia CPU via the activity monitor. For some reason TD doesn’t think it is using the nVidia.

Thanks much

Can you throw down a Monitors DAT and report back what GPU it tell you is there?

Hey Ben, here you go . . .

Jeff

Here is mine. It is indeed the integrated chipset that is displayed here

This is good feedback about these AMD built-in GPUs, thanks. We’ll discuss and see if there is anything we can find out.

Hey Ben, thanks much.

I’ve been testing a bunch of scenes on the G14 and so far I haven’t seen any other compatibility issues, it appears to be something with just the nVidia comps. From what I’ve read there will be a fair number of laptops using the AMD chip set, hopefully you can find out something. Let me know if you need other tests.

Ciphrd, have you seen any other issues with your laptop ?

Jeff

Also, as expected nVidia hardware encoding reports no GPU.

Can you guys give this build a try and see if it helps?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ktyv2756j4rjay6/touchdesigner.2020.24460.exe?dl=0

Thanks for the reports.

Hey Malcolm, just tested and yep, this fixes the problem. Tested both Flow op and NVENC output, no issues at all. Thanks much for the fix.Oh and I’m on the latest nVidia, AMD and Win10 if that matters.

Jeff

As an FYI to anyone, I’ve found the G 14 to be very close in GPU performance to a Razer w/ RTX 2060. CPU performance seems to be quite a bit better. Great machine for $1400 !

1 Like

Hi,
I’m having the same issue here where TD is only using the integrated graphics card. I have an ASUS G14 RTX2060 and using the game ready drivers. I tried all of the suggestions on this post including installing the build noted here. Anything else I should try?

In Nvidia Control Panel and Windows Advanced Graphics Settings did you try making a separate profile for TouchDesigner.exe and setting it to run with Nvidia GPU?

Interesting the you and original poster both has ASUS laptops.
Recommend using the latest build 2020.26630, the build posted above has been replaced by the posted build.

This issue has been fixed on my laptop as well !