FIXED: Touchdesigner crashes when connecting a line material to a geometry comp

My Touchdesigner 2022.26590 crashes when I try to connect a line material to a geometry comp with the following error message:

The Vulkan Device has returned a fatal error code.
This usually happens if a GPU operation runs for too long or is stuck in an infinite loop.
If you are using GLSL TOP/MATs, check your code and try to simplify complex shaders.
Otherwise, please report this issue to support.
Exiting.

This is the configuration I’m using

• MacBook Air (M1, 2020) with macOS Monterey 12.5,
  • 16GB RAM,
  • 1TB SSD,
  • 8-core GPU,
  • 16-core Neural Engine,
  • 8-core CPU with 4 perform­ance cores and 4 efficiency cores,
  • 13.3-inch Retina display

td-crash
[hand-drawn-tryin-not-to-crash-last-try.toe|attachment](upload ://5QZrZP7oA6kZ6I0nTqcoIFIvRDg.toe) (4.3 KB) ← cant link the file because “Sorry, new users can’t put links in posts.” :roll_eyes:

Steps to reproduce:

1. open file
  2. select line material node “line2”
  3. go to “Line” tab
  4. turn on “draw lines”
  5. press play

We are aware of some problems with the Line MAT on macOS, we are working on a fix for the next build we post. Thanks for your patience.

1 Like

I was having the exact same problem just now and went online to check. Thanks for your answer, Ben!

Thanks for your quick response @ben :slight_smile:
Looking forward to the update!

Same problem — Mac M1 Max here. Didn’t encounter this issue on the past version.
Happens to me when applying a LINE MAT to a Geo.
When adding a CONSTANT MAT it doesn’t happen though.

Hi @FynnLloyd, I moved your post to this thread as this is directly related, the other thread was focusing on crashes from the pop-up while making a reference.

1 Like

Found a weird workaround for the LINE MAT.

Just turn off the viewer [the small ‘target’-icon on every OP (top left)] before dragging it onto the GEO.

1 Like

Very helpful, thanks for this tip!

1 Like

I have to say, it’s popping up a bit more often now and it’s not quite predictable when you going to encounter this error / crash. Does it have anything to do with the latest build?

Yes the Line MAT is suffering from a regression in the API we use. You might have better luck with the 25370 previous build, but that build has other bugs we fixed, so it depends what you are doing. The Line MAT specifically is the issue though.

Hello!

I’m experience a bug on TD build 2022.26590.

I can reproduce it by opening a blank project with the default demo project. I add a Line MAT. Then as soon as I drag the Line MAT on top of the Geometry Comp TD crashes with the following error:

Vulkan Device Error

The Vulkan Device has returned a fatal error code.

This usually happens if a GPU operation runs for too long or is stuck in an infinite loop.

If you are using GLSL TOP/MATs, check your code and try to simplify complex shaders.

Otherwise, please report this issue to support@derivative.ca.

Exiting.

I am using a 2021 MacBook Pro on macOS Monterey (12.2.1). I tried all other MATs and the crash only happens with Line MAT.

Thanks for any help that you may offer!

_driangle

Hey @ggreiner

Merged your message to this other thread reporting the same (or very similar issue).

We are aware of regression with the Line MAT and this is being investigated.

Best,
Michel

This should be fixed in builds 27370 and later. Thanks for the report and sorry for the crashes!

Are builds 27370 and later available already? And if not, is there an expected release date?

This coming week.

2022.28040 has been posted, this build should fix a number of the crashes with the Line MAT, let us know how it works for you.

1 Like