FIXED:Touchdesigner Output crashing Pangolin Beyond

Hi there,
This one might be for Eric!
I am running data from Touchdesigner into Pangolin Beyond via the Pangolin Chop.

The patch does this:
Plays back 2 x FBX files with mocap data.
This drives some simple models made from merged primitives.

This data goes Sop to Chop, gets resampled , filtered, then back into a Limit SOP.
So you get a curvy animated line drawing with exactly 300 points per frame.

There are also some extras like colour and switching models.
It’s a 15 min timeline with each FBX controlling a single character.
FBX Playback happens using indexed frames and Timeline Chop.

So seemed to be all working fine, but Pangolin crashes every 10 mins or so.
Not a hard crash, but GUI becomes unresponsive.
Sometimes it keeps outputting for a bit.
Sometimes the output stops.
But you can’t use any of the GUI at all. Or (worringly) disable the laser output.
Only thing to do is to End Task in Task Manager and restart.

It seems to happen only on the edit points in the FBX files, where we cut from one take to another.

I’ve noticed that the data in the Pangolin CHOP node at this point goes from the 6 channel ‘Black BG with coloured lines look’ to the ‘Timesliced Grey BG with 6 channels’ look.

Convinced this has something to do with it. But can’t think what I’m doing wrong here.
My assistant compiled the mocap takes in Houdini.

Can;t think why editing between takes would cause a crash.
There doesn’t appear to be any change in point numbers when I monitor things.
And of course, because it only crashes every 10 mins or so, it;'s a bugger to track down.

It’s also not consistent. I can’t make it crash by going to a certain frame range.
It does not crash if I get it to loop a section where there are no cuts in the FBX data.

The obvious route is to re-export the FBX’s but I’ve done that 3 times now, with various different arrangements and have not hit the magic formula yet.

Any advice gratefully received. GOing to limp through a dress rehearsal tomorrow but would love to get this stabilised!

Best

Marcus

Hey Marcus,

Just to be sure I’m following along correctly:

Does the issue only occur when you switch between animations on the FBX COMP?

Is the Limit SOP always the source of the Pangolin CHOP? If you use a Trail CHOP on the Limit SOP’s num_points info channel do you notice any change? Do you notice any extreme change in values during the period when you cut from on take to another?

ust to be sure I’m following along correctly:

Does the issue only occur when you switch between animations on the FBX COMP?

Yes, but I’m not actually switching FBX files, just the mocap content in the files.
All the animations have the same number of points.

Is the Limit SOP always the source of the Pangolin CHOP?

No, I’m adding some colour channels and using Richard Burns Perspective to Ortho tox.
Also adding a Delete SOP just before output.

If you use a Trail CHOP on the Limit SOP’s num_points info channel do you notice any change? Do you notice any extreme change in values during the period when you cut from on take to another?*

I’ll check this, but I don’t think this is possible as there’s a resample CHOP before it that changes everything to 300 samples.

I’ll send you the project files in an email.

Pangolin Support reckon it’s something at the Derivative end.
I think they are going to contact you…

NewProject.1.toe (7.5 KB)
this issus will appear when you run this file about 10 mins.
the frame rate will also drop significantly.

The crash will be fixed in the next official build we release, 2023.11410+. We determined the cause of the crash was due to a bug in the Pangolin CHOP when the point source had zero points.

I see in your file that you’re intermittently hitting that case so I believe you’re experiencing the same crash. In the meantime you can work around the crash by ensuring your input always has at least one point, perhaps by always leaving one black point remaining in the point source

1 Like