Flexsolver simulation stops

If a simulation is in a base comp and this simulation is only referenced by an outside select to the flex top inside the simulation base comp, the simulation stops when i am nto in the simualtion comp or an actor viewer is open.
See attached toe.
a) Go inside simForScene4
b) init and start flexsolver
c) go one level up: simulation stopped

d) go back one level down into simForScene4
e) open a viewer on actor2
f) go one level up: simulation runs[bugRefFlexwithSelect.toe|attachment]

I am on win10, TD 2020.22080
(upload://5pBE95effhjps4YFFrzBCmL774M.toe) (5.5 KB)

Looks like your file didn’t upload properly.

Anyway, one possible solution to this problem is to enable Always Simulate on the Flex Solver COMP.

Thnx…that worked
Uploaded the file again, just in case you need it
bugRefFlexwithSelect.toe (5.5 KB)

Please try this again in the next build we post, as it continues to simulate in my case with the internal build I am testing. Did you try the “Always Simulate” toggle?

Yes. As i sayed above i used the toggle and that worked. I will test the new build also and report back.

Tested with 23680.
TD crashes .
Go into simuForScene4
Start fsolver1…crash

GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, version 441.66
bugRefFlexwithSelect.toe (5.5 KB) CrashAutoSave.bugRefFlexwithSelect.1.toe (5.5 KB)

If init in fsolver is used before start, no TD crash.
Simulation does not stop (as described above under a) to c)
Always simulate is off

Could you send the dmp file as well, if it created one?

TouchDesignerCrash.2020.23680.1.dmp (219.8 KB)

there it is. sorry forgot about it :frowning:

Does the crash also occur in 2020.22080?

I dont know. I did not test that.

Does it crash consistently? I’m not able to reproduce on the cards I have here, though I don’t have a GTX 1660 Ti to test with – if you have some time could you verify if it crashes in the previous version?

I’d also recommend upgrading to the latest drivers. It’s crashing in the driver so there’s a possibility the issue is with your current version.

Ok i will do that…sunday or monday

Hello,

Not sure about the crash Knut was getting but also having issues with the simulation stopping in various instances.
Getting weird results with the Always Simulate, it seems more simulation steps happen per frame and the sim is faster.
Also it seems strange it still simulates when the main playbar is paused.

Thanks!

Getting weird results with the Always Simulate, it seems more simulation steps happen per frame and the sim is faster.
Also it seems strange it still simulates when the main playbar is paused.

Thanks for the report, these bugs will be fixed in the next official build.

1 Like

Hi Eric,

Thanks a lot for the recent bug fixes and improvements!

I went back to trying it a bit, still encountering what feels like a bug, where the simulation stops when geos being rendered depend on it. Please see attached.
edit : Always Simulate works as expected now, but still doesn’t feel ideal, though I guess turning it off or setting play to off when needed is not the end of the world

2020_07_28_multiple_emitters_fluid.toe (16.7 KB)

The stranger part is, the first time I was working on the file (I just started from one of the snippets), the sim didn’t stop, but saving and going back to it it does.

Also, I’m a little confused on the intended instancing workflow.
It’s nice that the emitter actor can be rendered as is with instances and it just works, and I see , but let’s say I want to use extra instancing attributes (like look at with velocity or anisotropy for the ellipsoid rendering), then it seems I have to use a different geo and the nvidia flex TOP?

(and then the sim stops :wink:

Thank you!

Edit : actually there’s an easy workaround which is also something I wanted to do (and glad it’s there), when using the num_active_bodies from the actor info chop on the separate geo instance number of instances, the sim continues to cook.