Floor interaction

Hello!

I am working on an interactive installation where I would like a part of it to have a floor interaction. The whole project is to depict monsoon in the Indian mountains. I am creating an interactive waterfall where users can play with the water using their hands, and have ripples on the floor using their feet. I have the first half of it down, but having difficulties in the latter bit of it. Have scanned all the posts here on floor interactions, but havent found any solutions yet.

Thanks! :smiley:

Are you asking what hardware/sensor would be appropriate, or do you have a more specific question? Where are you stuck?

Hello @ben !

So just giving you a visual representation of what I am trying to achieve.

The idea is to have a water fall where peole can come in and interact with the particles on the front, and also on the floor. Along with particle displacement (something ripple like) on the floor I am also adding sounds of water splatter in various pitches (high notes and low notes. The blocks on the ground is just a representation of where each note would be present)

Things I have been able to do:

• I been able to create a waterfall and have people interact with it, but only on the front wall. I used the flex solver for this and used the kinect top and created a sop out of it and used it as a collider.
  • I am able to create sounds with the tracking of the foot, I used a bullet solver for this and used colliding info of the boxes to have sounds triggered through an audio play chop.

Things I am having some difficulties with:

• To have the waterfall particles flow on the ground (like how they do turn into a river onces the water hits the ground)
  • Have ripples created because of foot moment on the particles
  • Though I have been able to have the sounds place when the feet are on certain positions, it is very jiggered and not as smooth as when i tried out the same with hand movements.

Sorry for the longish response :sweat_smile:

-Rhea

The Flex solver should be able to do your floor effect as well if you just tilt your floor a little so the particles flow away from the wall. You can use the foot positions to place either colliding geometry or a Force Field to push the flex particles away from the foot position. The collision object might work better to give you a splash effect when the foot ‘steps’ into the flex particles.

Don’t really understand your audio problems, hands vs feet, its not enough information to go on. Are you dropping frames? What is the different between your hands and feed networks? What is ‘jiggered’ vs smooth mean for audio? etc.