HEVC Alpha channel support

Hi - I was wondering if there is any roadmap to supporting HEVC/H265 alpha channels in the future? I’m not sure if it’s fully standardised yet (Adobe support, as ever, is lagging), but have definitely seen it on AVFoundation on the mac, and in Shutter Encoder on Windows?

Hi all - I was wondering if anyone knew any more about this? Would be super useful!

Hi all.

Just wanted to bump this thread. TD support for HEVC alpha would be amazing for some of my workflows. Does anyone know if it’s planned?

Bumping this thread again. Would be great to hear from the devs about this!
I think HEVC alpha would be really useful for a lot of alpha channel workflows (hint, hint!).

Hello, I am just wondering what would be the progress with HEVC alpha against NotchLC or HAP-alpha? If I am right there is temporal compression involved in HEVC ?

Hi.

For my use case it would just be order of magnitude file size savings while maintaining some hardware acceleration (ie via nvidia, or Apple silicon if TD begins supporting hardware encode decode), as well as easier interoperability with other software.

Although there’s some compression, HAP (as an example) is also quite lossy. It would be a useful addition in certain contexts, IMHO, though not a silver bullet of course.

I find with 4K+ clips you just fill up nvmes so fast using hap alpha, and it would be nice to have the option of a less heavy workflow, even if there might be some quality compromises.

1 Like

I’ll bump this as well. Support would be aces.

To echo jham2000, HEVC has provided some great file size work arounds. Particularly with large projection surfaces with lots of daily content. Outputting HAP for these large resolutions quickly takes up multiple 4tb SSDs. HEVC has proven to take up 1/100th of that size.

anyway, would be nice to have somewhere down the line