How do I thicken the outline of a TOP? The outline is white and the BG is transparent

Hi there,

Possibly a very newbie question here:

How do I thicken the outline of a TOP if the outline is white and the BG is transparent?

Let’s say I have a video of someone dancing, I’d like to get the outline of that person, so I use the Edge TOP to get the outline of that person, however, this outline ends up being fairly thin. How can I thicken this outline? The output here from the Edge TOP is a white outline over alpha background.

movFileIn TOP ---> edge TOP ---> ? ---> null TOP

Below is a simplified version of the render network. Note the thin lines in edge1.

Hey,

My initial thoughts are that you could add a blur after the edge to give some thickness to the lines. Then after that add another edge to decrease the blur, while keeping the thick lines.

Another idea is to use feedback with a transform and level, and play around with opacity and scale.

Hope this is helpful, cheers!

Bluring and then threshholding it back can help (but not the most efficient).

1 Like

Trace SOP and rendering with the Line MAT is an option.

1 Like

This is clever! Yeah the only thing is the amount of processing - feel like it’d be tough to do in a live environment setup. I’m surprised there isn’t a more direct way to do this in TD. May have to roll out my own OP.

But for now going to give it a shot. Thank you!