How safe is Compoment's privacy setting?

If I was to sell my tox file or in a installation project?How safe is it if someone tries to break into it and do something bad?Any suggestions on how to prevent someone coping the toe as whole and resell?

component and project privacy are very reliable solutions here. You do need a pro license to make projects private, but depending on your work that might be worth the investment.

Here’s an example of a private toe file:
private-toe.toe (4.4 KB)

Esc no longer works to get inside of these projects. You need to use shift+esc at which point you’ll be prompted to enter a password.

You can also enable privacy on tox files:
private-tox.tox (894 Bytes)

You’ll see that you can still use in / out ops to create modules with custom parameters, but you’ll be unable to enter a private tox without a password.

1 Like

This is great to know, thanks Matt, although very disappointing to hear that it’s only available with the pro licence…

Some of us make a living in industries with limited budget (independent artists, independent dance companies etc…) and it’s very steep to afford that type of licence, taking into account that we also need periodically to buy or upgrade our machines, buy sensors etc, not to mention killer currency conversions…

Right now I have a computer driving an installation interstate, running a TD project that took a lot of R&D and coding.The show has been received very positively and it’s likely to tour again.
It’s gutting to think that anyone could potentially copy that project and walk away.

@FaustoB You’re in luck. There’s actually some features that you can use to encrypt tox files without needing a pro license

You need to do a little extra work to use this in your projects, but this looks like:

• put all of your pieces into a COMP
  • save that comp as an external tox
  • run a script to encrypt your tox
  • you’ll need to write a little handler to load your tox when the project starts, otherwise you’ll get a warning like this:

The other trick I often use is to hide all of your operators - that’s a good way to make your project look empty even if it’s not.

1 Like

This will save it to the disk encrypted, but one caveat, the ‘handler’ you mention is not encrypted.
So theoretically, it can be read (revealing the password), or the network can be examined after it it loaded.

@raganmd thanks for such detailed info,Matt :grin: