I want to create a cube with points

I can use this points to display LED strip ,but I have no ideas to create the cube.Who can give me some useful advices?Refer to this picture for specific effects。

I’m not sure if I understand your question, it looks like you already created a cube there on the background. Is this the result you want to know how to make, or are you asking for a way to fill up the sides to visualise a full led box instead of only the edges?

I want to find a way to create a special cube like this picture,I haven’t finished this effects.

dotted box.toe (4.4 KB)

Thanks for your help,but I want to use dots to represent edges.like this picture.

Thanks for your help,but I want to use dots to represent edges.like this picture.

,Every

I see, in that case it might be best to use instancing with tops, maybe using script TOP or with GLSL, even just chops and ramp tops and some compositing, to create one texture where the colours represent the led positions in space, and another that represents the led’s colours.

Thank you.And I have a question is what’s means to use colors to represent the led positions in the space.If use color to represent positions,how to control led colors at the same time.

Did you use WeChat to connect others?I want to use realtime connection software to talk to you about this question.

the XYZ position colours are the way to previzualize it, as well as map the real led positions to a virtual 3D space.

For example in this screenshot, the colours in the TOP represent the positions as visualized when you right click the active viewer and choose ‘view as points’

Then when you use this TOP as the translation OP on the instancing page of a geo, it will show the SOP (the box) on every position represented by the pixel values (make sure to use 32bit float and not 8bit colour)

On the 2nd instancing page you can feed it a second TOP which contains the colours of each led, and the result will be a previz of you led’s in the geo viewer.

I feed here the XYZ positions from the top to the noise TOP on the bottom, which results in the volume dislaying a consistent 3D noise.

From there it is up to your creativity and research ways to do more than just random colours. Remember you can always compare each position with other (3D) data to generate the colors you want (search google for distance fields, check out RayTK, look into GLSL)

Then to get those colors in the right leds this will depend entirely on your led setup, how the strips are ordered. If you generate the XYZ position’s TOP in such a way that each position is in the same place as where the led color needs to be in the output. The results might look very weird in 2D on your screen, so that’s why we previz it with the cube instances and always see what the final result will be.

I don’t have this chat app btw, but you can find me on the Touchdesigner discord as ‘catronomix’

This is an example of how you could construct a geometry to represent your led lights first, start with a line that is one led strip, and then use copy and transform in such a way the order matches how they are connected.

When applying the same previz technique:

I fed the same TOP for color as for the positions on the instancing tabs to show how the colors are related to the positions.

2 Likes

Great post @incognite. Just to re-iterate, you need to create your geometry such that the point numbers on the geometry match the order your LED strips are wired up or ‘addressed’. Once you’ve got that setup, then you can color it anyway you like in the 3D virtual space and the LEDs will match up in reality.

Once you’ve got that TOP filled with the positions, you can use RayTK scenes to generate the colors for the LEDs.
Check out this tutorial: RayTK Tutorial: Volumetric Sampling - YouTube