Image sequence moviefileout TOP 50ms on cpu!

I’m just doing a simple movie file out, empty project,
with image sequence, default settings, TIFF, project fps…

And my cpu is averaging at 50ms…

tried all the image file types and the avreg ms:
jpg runs at 20-30ms
bmp at 40ms and then makes touch unusable
exr at 100ms and then makes touch unusable
png at 190ms!!
dds is the only one that is sub 1ms but does have 6-8ms on gpu

this doesnt seem to be normal behaviour any help would be welcome.

runing on 2023.11600
windows 10
intel core i9 12900K
3080ti
96gb ram
nvme drives

Hi @REM_Visuals,

what is the output resolution? With standard 1280x720 there is a 1ms cost on my laptop writing out tiffs.

cheers
Markus

1920*1080

I tested it in an older version of touch.
So I guess it’s a hardware issue. But I just don’t really understand what, my pc is running fine, unreal is ok, other apps are ok…

Did you check the performance monitor to see what it is reporting?

I did briefly, but i didn’t see much besides he moviefilein top in terms of big green lines.

Hi @REM_Visuals,

just to make sure: did you mean Movie File In or Movie File Out?

cheers
Markus

movie file out, sorry sorry.

still haven’t received a response here…

any ideas?

hey, any clarity on this?

TIFF

PNG

JPG

really not sure why this is happening and never has been an issue in the past, happens on an empty project for me as well.

Hi @REM_Visuals,

ah - I see you are using 32 RGBA textures - this is happening on my end too with this…
Looking into it.

cheers
Markus

1 Like

When your source is 32-bit float, it’ll write out 16-bit fixed version of the PNG/TIFF formats, instead of the usual 8-bit fixed formats. This will take longer.
You can get some extra speed by turning up the ‘Max Threads’, which writes out multiples frames at the same time using multiple threads.
What performance are you expecting? What speed can you write out 16-bit PNG/TIFF in other apps?

hey malcolm!
its less about expectation, i have none of those haha.
im streaming out of touch, so any performance hit is undesirable, i could go down to 30fps, but its just that any dropped frames of the stream arent wanted , and with a sequnece i was flutuating all over the place that it made it hard to use.

i would like to use images in case of a power failer or crash etc. and not have to try and rebuild a wrapped video.

on a side note, im outputting 4 h264s, intrestingly enough, the “main” output renders out perfect, but the other 3 have artifacts, they are long records 2-3hours but all are the same settings…so its wierd (albeit very convienit) that the 1 is ok and the others have these artifacts