Implementing AO or Normal maps in a PBR workflow

I have a basic FBX workflow working that I am happy with.
Materials are converted to PBR after import.
I am using a simple Cornell box for testing.
The one thing I cannot figure out is how to implement ‘globally’ baked maps like ambient occlusion and normal-bump.
In the attached example the walls, boxes and overhead light are all separate pieces of geometry with their own PBR materials.
So how would you apply a single AO (or normal-bump to simulate high poly geometry) map ?

For the most part this would be done in another application ( substance, blender or any DCC with render/baking) and exported with the rest of the maps for a given object and its material PBR channels. Are you asking whether this can be done in touch? You could add another texture layer to the objects that puts them all on the same map for certain textures ( you can specify the uv layer for each input texture of a MAT via the little >> next to the TOP parameter, which gives you the texture options).

Baking in touch is possible now that render TOP has UV unwrap option, but that still doesn’t give you GI or high/low poly normal map baking out of the box, which is why another app is going to be your best bet i think. But for the simple stuff ( baking of touch realtime lighting for instance) you could create that second texture layer and bake with touch using the render UV option.

Does that help at all?

1 Like

Thanks! Great info. Wasn’t aware baking was possible inside TD. And faking GI with an Environment light atm.
After a couple days of hair pulling gave up on Blender for baking.
“ add another texture layer to the objects that puts them all on the same map for certain textures”
This is the key to my solution if i can figure out how to implement. Each piece of geometry exists as a SOP and MAT inside separate Geo Containers within the parent FBX container. Not really sure what you mean by ‘add another texture layer’?

Do you mean each material would get a link to the same AO texture map but then I need to define the UV map on the actual AO texture TOP?

One thing I’d live to figure out is how to simulate emissive light reflecting off surfaces like in this image where the light from the glowing pyramid is reflecting off the floor. Cardboard Light Sculpture – EMILY ANDREWS