Just a Line TOP

True, I haven’t thought of that, but that’s good point. I guess I haven’t realized this since I still have valid Houdini license, but once that changes, it won’t be that easy :smiley:

Yes, you are right. But based on this - maybe it would be better to create Curve SOP rather than TOP in TD - as it would then allow for more flexible rendering (making it easier to do various shading tricks and stuff - just like one could do in Houdini with curves)?

This would be great. Not meaning to hijack this discussion, but I have tried to write my thoughts on this here. Such way of handling user components would make my life so much easier :smiley:

Anyway this is great discussion :slight_smile:

Would love that also!

Dream come true

A simple A to B line segment/curve TOP could just use a few parameters, same as the Circle/Rectangle TOPs, as far as the original RFE is concerned.

Parameter Name Field(s)
Start Point X and Y
End Point X and Y
Curvature Float
Color RGBA
Width Float
Different End Width Toggle
End Width Float
Dashed Toggle
Dash Length Float
End Caps Start Cap Toggle, End Cap Toggle
Cap Type Circle/Triangle/Square/Custom (custom takes from 2nd input TOP?)
Cap Scale Start Cap Float, End Cap Float

Food for thought. :thought_balloon:

Hey, Amazing discussion, I’m glad this topic is getting an echo, and this RFE is of course, not just the original message I wrote but everyone ideas.

Thank you, @greg and @timgerritsen, for the super useful .Tox. But that’s what I already noticed: The SOP technique and even the GLSL one are pretty expensive if I compare this to a native TOP rectangle, for example (which is a more complex shape, though).

I understand the @greg argument to not develop any native TOP if there is a way to obtain it differently. But as it appears to not have a simple and fast line drawing technique in TOP; and as the rectangle TOP and the Circle TOP already exist. I wonder if the line TOP is not the missing TOP to draw any basic shape.

If I take our ADOBE friends, they have theses basic vector shapes :

• ADOBE Rectangle → Retangle TOP
  • ADOBE Elipse → Circle TOP
  • ADOBE Triangle → Circle TOP
  • ADOBE Polygone → Circle TOP
  • ADOBE Line → ?

The @matijaerceg idea to add curve features would be great if it doesn’t slow down basic lines drawing.

maybe as much as possible as long drawing a simple line is faster than a rectangle or a circle

To the @matijaerceg Parameter list, I would add a way to reference a CHOP that can manage the creation of several lines as in the Tox of @timgerritsen do. And of course, it is only worth it if it is much more effective than this tox. Otherwise, it means it’s something for the palette, maybe.

1 Like

This could be an interesting top, I think matijaerceg is more or less on the money, I wouldn’t make it more complex than he is describing.

In the meantime, I made my own quick version of a line tool that covers my own needs, happy to share!

line.tox (2.3 KB)

At this point it’d be probably better to just port something like Skia or nanovg to accept a bunch of commands via a DAT manifest and draw :grimacing:, perhaps with a python wrapper or a syntax to evaluate dependable data from elsewhere… Or just use the webRender TOP :frowning: