Kinect 1 vs Kinect 2 vs Azure

Hi there,
Just looking at kinects and wondering if anyone has any tips on which to get? Kinect 1s from xbox360 are easier to find but wondering if Kinect 2 or Azures have many/any advantages? thanks

1 Like

I have a little experience with all of them. They are progressively better quality for sure, with the Azure images looking significantly nicer.

That said, none of them are perfect or super-low-latency, so depending on what you’re doing, Kinect 1 might still be sufficient. I find that for tracking one person doing simple stuff, it’s fine. Azure is way higher res and more powerful, but still has that half-second delay (at least on my system) for the skeleton. It also requires better hardware in your computer.

Very curious to hear about the experience of others…

1 Like

Personally I would go for the Azure. None of the other models are current and are no longer supplied, so you will be reliant on 2nd hand equipment from eBay and the like. The Kinect Azure works really well in TD and we have stitched many together successfully for a whole range of projects. Re: delay - this can be overcome if the frame rate is lowered to around 15fps - which in most instances is still fast enough for accurate skeletal tracking via the GPU. GPU needs to be at least an RTX 1080 ideally a 2060 minimum really…

1 Like

Thank you! Am I right that Azure Kinects are also not being made now and the new Azure Kinect DK are harder to get (for 'dev’s only?)

Thank you this is great!

So Azure Kinect and the Azure Kinect DK is the same thing. You buy these direct from the Microsoft store. (sorry I can’t post the link here as it won’t allow it)

The previous models of Kinect are now all obsolete.