Kinect not compatible with PC hardware?

Hi all,

I hope this is an appropriate place to post this. I am looking for help/suggestions on upgrading and optimizing my pc setup to use TD. I am fairly new to touchdesigner (less than a year, on and off) and I am mainly trying to use the kinect features but it seems like my current pc build doesn’t support kinect. I bought a kinect recently but get a lot of compatibility error messages when I connect it.

My pc:
CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.50 GHz Eight-Core AM3+ CPU 6MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology
MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3/2133MHz Dual Channel Memory [+100] (ADATA XPG V3)
MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE 970A-DS3P AMD 970 ATX w/ Ultra Durable 4 Classic, On/Off Charge, GbLAN, 2 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 2 PCI
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 2GB GDDR3 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card (Single Card)

Kinect:
Kinect V2 (model #1520)
Kinect to PC adapter (offbrand made in china)

After some research I believe that my CPU and/or motherboard is not compatible with the kinect cameras. I’m not super savvy with PC hardware so I’d like some guidance on what kind of upgrades I should make to my computer. I’m also interested in upgrading my old GPU if people think it will make a noticeable difference.

Thanks for reading, any help would be appreciated!

Hello, have you installed the Microsoft Kinect SDK?

I have.

When i boot up the SDK the error message i get is under the ‘USB Controller’ tab and it says: “check your USB controllers for Kinect for Windows v2 Compatibility, No supported USB 3.0 detected”

Ive tried plugging it in on all of my usb 3.0 ports as well as the 2.0 ports

Also when the Kinect is plugged in my computer makes the sound of a device being plugged in, over and over and over again. The kinect lights come on and off during that part as well.

Ive read that the kinect is only compatible with Intel motherboards? not sure how accurate that is or if there is a workaround for AMD

Its seems that your USB is not sufficient for the kinect 2 stream. Have you tried with the Kinect 1?
On my computer (MSI GS65), there is only one USB where I can plug my Kinect.
I dont know for AMD motherboard.

On our help page for Kinect Kinect - Derivative you will find a link to the SDK page

There is a section in “System Requirements” where it discusses supported chipsets. You can always add a USB3.0 PCI-card with one of these chipsets if the USB chipset on your motherboard is not supported.

Hi Jacques,

I just got a new MSI GS65 with the RTX2070 with 3 of the USB 3.1 Gen2 ports and it is telling me that the usb controllers are not compatible. What a massive let down for spending 3k on a computer! I hope there’s a workaround for it :frowning:

I’m waiting for 3 different usb 3.0 pci cards to arrive from amazon today. Will update if any of them worked

I did have a similar problem with an xbox kinect before and something like this

helped it. Not 100% sure but it was some registry trick I had to jump through…

cheers
Markus

I was able to get it to work finally by updating my driver. I thought I had installed them all but the MSI native update software is garbage. Found an update for the intel chipset, after a reboot, it’s working! Hurrah!

1 Like