Leap device

I think it would be nice to consider this new device called Leap as a new chop input for Touch Designer.

Has I read about the Leap Technology, if you computer has any touchpad driver, it should work just fine with a mouse CHOP since it uses the MouseTouchPad drivers

it seems that it generates a depth reading similar to the kinect sensor? that would be nice to have inside TD :slight_smile:

Hello, for what I have understood, it is far more complex than a mouse driver as it gathers the data for the movement of each finger independently in a 60 cm virtual 3d cube around the device. So, it is a bit like a depth sensor too like the kinect, but using some advanced algorithms for hands and fingers motion.

It may use the mouse drivers as output, but it is just scratching the surface of what it is capable (custom gestures and software mapping, apparently)

There is an SDK available for developers who would like to use the device for their softwares before the actual launch of the product next year.

Honestly, i find it would be a great combo to use this device capability with Touch Designer.

NB: i didn’t see at first there was an input devices forum. The post should be actually there i think.

This is definitely something we’ll look into eventually.

So, looks like the thing is real and the SDK appears to be up.
This page has examples in Unity and Labview etc.
[url]http://singularityhub.com/2013/01/03/ready-leap-motion-app-development-lays-critical-foundation-for-early-2013-launch/[/url]

Malcolm, is eventually soon? Looks like shipping in first half of 2013.

Rod.

Hi Malcolm just want to follow up with this post and see if you guys have implemented the Leap with Touch yet. I’m excited to try it out. I just received one today.

are these available retail yet, or are people still getting them thru developer sign-ups?

I guess they will be available momentarily:

news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-57564 … -best-buy/

My friend just finished a Leap to OSC app using the Python SDK examples and pyOSC ([url]http://gitorious.org/pyosc[/url]). We now have Leap data streaming into Touch :smiley:

A very alpha repo is here: [url]https://github.com/topher515/leapyosc[/url]

I’m going to work on porting it to a chop that runs natively inside Touch, my first real 088 Python project.

My impressions so far (based on the developer unit) have been really positive. Very accurate, very fast hand and finger tracking. Trackable distance is about 2ft above the device but it has a very wide FoV. Also very tiny. The value of the device is really in the software, though. Right now developers lack access to the raw depth data. No point clouds, object recognition, or facial tracking out of the box, but access to a depth map is the most requested feature. I believe it has something to do with the stereovision camera and the way their software interprets the data as opposed to the way a kinect operates with IR projector and camera. They plan to support multiple Leaps for increasing field of view, which I hope means including some calibration tools in the SDK.

Will post some videos in the coming weeks.

Phil
please keep me posted on the chop development. Hope to get my hands on a leap soon

I’ve created program that exports Leap Motion data via OSC. It’s my first attempt at programming in C++, with just a weeks experience in learning the language!

github.com/morphiccreative/leapOSC

It’s a simple executable that takes the Leap Motion data (as much as I can pull from the API), and transmits it over OSC to the localhost on port 7000. There’s nearly 100 channels of data so far, and I’m working to extract more.

Please let me know your thoughts and comments on this.

Hey morphiccreative,

This seems great!
I’m trying to test your leap OSC to touch build, but I’m getting:

I was missing msvcr110d.dll and msvcp110d.dll which I downloaded, but i’m still getting…

“The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application.”

clicking “ok” closes the application.

Any ideas how to fix this?
What was the .exe compiled on?
I’m using windows 8 x64.
Also, let us know if there’s any other information you could use to help answer our questions.

Thank You.

Hi Lebowski,

The exe was compiled on Windows 7 x64 with Visual Studio 2012 Express. The supporting files in the bin directory are msvcp100.dll, msvcp100d.dll and msvcr100d.dll; you’ve mentioned that you were missing the xxxxx110d.dll files, which would suggest that you are using different c++ runtime files. Also, check that you’ve got leapd.dll in the folder with the exe file, as it won’t work without it.

Regards,

Morphic Creative

Thanks for posting this sample.

The msvcp100.dll, msvcp100d.dll and msvcr100d.dll files are runtime files for Visual Studio 2010. msvcr110d.dll is for Visual Studio 2012.

The ‘d’ on the end of the filename means they are the debug version, so if you compile for release it’ll use the release versions instead.

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for pointing out my mistake. It would appear that the sample project that I used from the Leap SDK was created in VS2010, but I compiled the program in VS2012. I’m going to update the project files to the latest runtimes, and get a new version uploaded later on this week.

Regards,

Morphic Creative

Thank you for replying so quickly.

I know that this is a rather old topic, and that Leap Motion has been discontinued and surpassed. But did anyone come up with a basic camera control TOX for Leap Motion?