Line MAT and UV texture?

Is it possible to use Line MAT with texture?

I have a roots like structure with just curve primitives, if I use phone MAT I can use ramp texture that is tracing along the curves. I was just curious if similar thing can be possible to do with Line MAT but unsure since there is no spot to plug in TOP to.

Thank you.

1 Like

Hi Aki, There currently is no way to texture lines of the Line MAT, sorry. We have been considering texturing on lines for a while and concluded it would need a lot of controls - assuming u along the lines and v across the width, controlling whether each line starts with the same u or it steps, from one line to another, or u randomly offsets from one line to the next, and whether u goes 0-1 flor whole line or u increases depending on ling length. etc. similar for v. What is your use case? It is on our radar to do, not sure when.

1 Like

Hi Greg! Thank you for the reply! That is great to hear that it is on your radar. My case is actually simple, I only want to animate the color keeping the width static. I have a neuron model that has width attribute, and I used Texture SOP Rows & Columns mode to create UV so that I can run a ramp texture along the curve. I thought it would be nice lineMAT allows color texture that uses SOP’s UV. Attached my project file!

lineMatTexture.2.toe (39.7 KB)

1 Like

If you can get the ramp’s colors onto the point colors, the Line MAT will render the point colors. I see your uv is on the vertiecs, but if you can get them on your points… then perhaps TOP to CHOP your ramp and use that and the u with a Lookup CHOP and splice the color back into the SOP. something like that.

1 Like

That did it! Thank you Greg!!