macOS poor performance compared to Windows on same machine

Hi !

So I’m having a strange issue. My computer has dual boot between Windows 10 and macOS 10.15.4 (hackintosh) and seeing some HUGE performance drop on Mac while everything is perfect on windows. It has Ryzen 9 3900X as CPU and RX580 as GPU and handles everything i throw at it pretty well and as long as I stay on windows I can get a consistent 60fps solid. But on macOS, even on the starting page of TD I drop to about 55fps and when opening the same projects I get half to a third of the fps.

I should note that other apps like Ableton behave very well on very CPU intensive projects and running benchmarks like Cinebench and Geekbench on macOS gives me expected results for the CPU with excellent performance.

Any idea what could be the cause of this ?

The issue is most likely on the GPU side, or the GPU drivers. macOS has stopping supporting OpenGL so performance on it seems to be getting worse.
We are in the process of upgrading to Vulkan/Metal to help avoid this though.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response Malcolm. I was under the impression it was the CPU as I noticed the performance drop while working with particles…
Looking forward to Vulkan/Metal implementation !

There are certain OPs that are slow on macOS, like the TOP to CHOP (pulling data down from the GPU to CPU), or sometimes rendering many points in 3D viewers (since you mention particles). Some are unavoidable due to the Apple drivers, but others go away in Perform Mode like the 3D viewers issue. Feel free to post a project file that isn’t performing well and we’re always happy to make optimizing recommendations.