Matrox Quadhead2go

What problems arise using matrox QuadHead2Go.

Loss of sleep, loss of hair, loss of jobs…

I’m sure there are some people here that would disagree with me but I stopped using that product line a while back. At the time, they had a tendency to only work well with specific usb chipsets and sometimes they didn’t reinitialize correctly on reboots and would even drop out randomly while connected.

There are a lot of factors that could have contributed to my experience and maybe the drivers are better these days but in my opinion you’re better off with a Datapath FX4 or if you don’t need frame sync then maybe just birddog NDI receivers.

Curious if anyone here has had a better experience than mine with the Head2Go line of products.

I generally avoid the Matrox Head2Go products altogether, due to similar experiences. Definitely not reliable!

The FX4 is a good option. For a mid-priced alternative you could try the AJA HA5-4K. This does not have the arbitrary resampling of the FX4, but it will split out a single 4K stream to 4x HD signals, one for each quadrant of the 4K image. Multiple HA5-4K units can’t be synced externally, but the 4 SDI streams it produces will be in sync.

tl;dr - just go with the Datapath Fx4.

I don’t have experience with the Matrox Head2Go, but do have some with the AJA HA5-4k as well as the Datapath FX4. Last year I built a 24 x 1080p video wall and thus needed 6x 4K video splitters to handle the output of 2x Nvidia Quadro P4000 GPU’s ( using 6 of the 8 available 4k video outputs). That’s a mouthful… Anyways, because of the cost of this project, I initially wanted to save some money and went with the AJA splitters which was a big mistake. I encountered a 50% failure rate with them - half of the boxes would randomly lose signal between 5 and 20 minutes after powering up, which is a deal breaker in a production setting, obviously. You can imagine the nightmarish scenario of Windows reshuffling the outputs of 2 GPU’s every few minutes on a huge video wall. AJA tech support tried to be helpful but mostly acted disbelieving of my feedback. Eventually I was able to justify the budget increase and went with the Datapath boxes which wound up being a really good decision. They cost quite a bit more, but you’ll get a lot of reliability out of them where it seems to be lacking elsewhere. I realize this response comes a bit late but I do hope it saves somebody a lot of time, money and stress!

2 Likes

That’s good to know - I hadn’t heard that about the AJA splitters but I haven’t worked with them in a production environment yet.