Memorial installation - Cycle through source data

I am looking to create an installation to remember lives lost from an epidemic. I have lots of experience in using GLSL shaders and software such as Madmapper and Synesthesia, though these are limited and ToughDesigner seems like a better fit. I would love advice on how to create an experience which can show a projected name and generative visuals for each individual.

The installation will be comprised of 200 1m RGBW bars in a 60ft diameter circle. Below is a mockup of the type of experience I am looking to create, combined with a projection of the name related to the visual.

I plan to work with a team of volunteers to digitize memorial plates, where we extract the individual’s name, primary and secondary colors, and identify a theme and/or iconography that can be used for visualization. Below is a description of how I imagine it could work:

1. Select a row at random from a spreadsheet with the fields name , primaryColor , secondaryColor , pattern , effect
  2. Create a moving visual output via Syphon to the LED mapping software, and a separate visual to project the person’s name
  3. Repeat after 10 seconds (fading out and in)

I would really appreciate advice on how to parse this type of information into TouchDesigner, and have it cycle through different individuals.

Thank you in advance!

You could also see if you can skip the LED-Mapping software and do the mapping in TouchDesigner to.

Regarding the data, I would suggest using a database or headlessCMS to manage the data, instead of an excel-table. This way you can even host it online to continue working on the databse.

For the cycling use a TimerCHOP.

Regarding the different states: Check the talk by Corey Schneider

Another solution might be to create a single patterm-generator and recalling different states via a presetManager.

1 Like

Thank you for the advice! I’ll try out your advice and will let you know how it goes.