Minimum configuration : Ableton + Touch designer live video (framedrop)

Hey everyone,

I’m interested in running a live video Touch Designer project alongside Ableton on my laptop simultaneously. Unfortunately, it seems like a bit too much for my current computer to handle. You can check out a video of it running where you’ll notice the framerate dropping to lower than 10: https://youtu.be/-w7_4BfQAdA

I’m considering investing in either a new laptop or a desktop computer to handle this workload. It seems like my CPU might be the bottleneck, but I’m not entirely certain.

Could you offer any guidance on what to look for or any recommendations?

P.S.: Please excuse the poor sound quality; it’s due to the lack of a proper sound card.

P.P.S.: I’ve attempted to follow the methods outlined in this article, but it’s challenging to pinpoint the exact culprit (whether it’s the CPU, GPU, storage bandwidth, etc.): How to Spec a TouchDesigner PC - The Interactive & Immersive HQ

My current configuration

• Processor: Intel(R) Core™ i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz
  • Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
  • Video Card #2: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630
  • Operating System: Windows 10
  • RAM: 16 GB

To follow up, after quite a bit of research, I decided to upgrade the overall performance (CPU, GPU). I chose a customizable XMG gaming laptop from Bestware, which seems to offer good value for money.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 | 6 GB GDDR6
Intel Core i7-11800H
32gb RAM
1,144.53 € (price for 05/2024)