Modifying an imported 3D file

Hi TD-Community,

I’ve recently been interested in importing 3D elements/models into touchdesigner and messing with them. So that’s going pretty well and good, but I’m pretty new to 3D in TD and was wondering if you guys had any tips and trick on animating/modifying the models once imported?

Like, let’s say I wanted to make these chains that I imported in this TOX-file bend, twist or move around instead of being so static as they are now.

Please see the TOX file here:
Chain.toe (12.5 KB)

FBX: [chain | 3D model]

Some stills of the TOX:

All and any ideas welcome.

There’s SOPs that you can use to move the geometry itself, you could also convert to a point cloud and work with it in that way (though that uses a instancing). TD doesn’t really have a method of doing those kinds of operations that I can think of.

1 Like

You could alternatively make a chain from scratch and animate it using the bullet solver COMP. Take a look at the operator snippets for an example.

1 Like

Point cloud is very interesting, but I don’t really think that it’s what I’m seeking in this case unfortuantely. Which SOP do you recommend for moving the geometry itself? Are you thinking of the transform SOP or?

Thank you for your comment :pray:

Will definetly check that out! Thanks!

Not very familiar with it but take a look at Lattice SOP in Op Snippets - looks like you could twist stuff at least fairly easily…

1 Like

As Owen mentioned the Bullet Solver COMP, just to clarify you would not need to do any animating as it is a physics simulation system so you could have chains acting like real chains.

1 Like

Great! Will check it out :slight_smile:

This looks super interesting!